The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Resin filters or not?

This is a discussion on Resin filters or not? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I've always used standard filters to fine effect. Recently someone recommended I hook up a resin filter to my UV ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: swamped has started on the right path
Default Resin filters or not?

I've always used standard filters to fine effect. Recently someone recommended I hook up a resin filter to my UV in order to remove heavy metals, and then adding some K, Ca, and Na salts to restore appropriate hardness. Has anyone tried this method? Is it better than chemical treatments?

swamped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: MRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and information

The more you mess with the water the greater the potential for error. Unless your tap water is somehow toxic I would not mess with it. Put it in a clean bucket and aerate for 24 hrs to remove chlorine / cloramine. It is not a perfect but unless you have tons of copper, lead, or zinc there is no need to use resin filters. I would preface that by saying this applies to frogs / newts only. Very delicate marine species like octopuses or jellyfish would require such measures.

MRIGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filters, resin

LinkBack