The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Help making a waterfall for a paludarium

This is a discussion on Help making a waterfall for a paludarium within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I've been busy for the past week and a half browsing a few pet stores for supplies. Today I found ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 0
Rep: Whoo has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable mannerWhoo has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable manner
Default Help making a waterfall for a paludarium

I've been busy for the past week and a half browsing a few pet stores for supplies. Today I found one with quite a few supplies needed like moss. Anyway I still need a month or two to buy the supplies. Now I've decided that I want a waterfall for the paludarium. So my question is how to start making one.
Whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Your going to need to be a bit more specific than that, what kind of effect are you trying to achieve? What kind of setup? Materials? Equipment?

Thats a bit like asking 'How do I build a paludarium' or 'how longs a piece of string'? :)

The easiest way is to conceal a small submersible pump below the water, or use the filter outflow. Presuming your decoraing the back wall of the tank just conceal the pipe in the decorations so the water flows down the back wall. Place a small pot, rock or pece of cork bark right on top of where te pipe ends so the water cascades down over the edge.
If the back of your tank is bare you could construct a pile of wood/rocks rising out of the water concealing the pipe/pump/filter that it just flows down.

You can elaborte on that basic design as much as you want, have a look through the forum, there was a post a while back where someone used an arangement of plastic saucers(the kind plant pots tand on)stuck together with rocks and substrate to create a multi-teir waterfall.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Whoo has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable mannerWhoo has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable manner

Well I was hoping to do something like coen's:

Click the image to open in full size.

But the only difference is that my tank is a 10 gallon.
Whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Jausi has started on the right path

You can get either a pump or a wisper water filter 40i or smaller since your paludarium will be in a 10 gallon tank, you wont need to use pvc pipes to make the water go up you can get those filters at any pet store even wallmart carries them, or try www.drfoster&smith.com , I'll use one for my paludarium in a 75 gallon tank and I'm using concret to build the structure and the water fall.

Good luck with you proyect
Jausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Your enclosure looks nice. Just remember that other than a few exceptions newts do not enjoy a lot of turbulance. As long as you keep the flow at a trickle it should be OK though.
Chip
freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jausi has started on the right path

You can check my structure at paludarium proyect
Jausi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
making, paludarium, waterfall