The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Undergravel Filters, Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Undergravel Filters, Advice Needed within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hello, I have a standerd 20 gallon aquarium and have used large gravel as a substrate, But when I clean ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RICH123 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Undergravel Filters, Advice Needed

Hello,
I have a standerd 20 gallon aquarium and have used large gravel as a substrate, But when I clean it out I feel that not all the gunk etc is removed from under the gravel so I am thinking of using an undergravel filter, I wondering if anyone could give me advice on them because so far I have heared mixed things about them. The aquairium Has 2 semi adult T.Verrucosus and I was thinking maybe there could be to much suction for them but I dont know.
Any help would be great, thanks
Rich

RICH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chuckpowell has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Undergravel Filters, Advice Needed

I've been using an undergravel filter with a power head in a tank, admittedly a frog tank, for about 17 years straight now - no changes, well water changes, but nothing else. There's a build-up on gunk in the gravel and I'm sure under the filter, but the tank and animals I keep in there are all doing just great and always have. I've never tried salamanders in a similar set up but hope to one of these day when I can find the room for another larger tank (some of you know how that goes ; >). I'm sure it would work fine.

Best,

Chuck

chuckpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

The only problem with using undergravel filters with caudates is most of caudates do not tolerate any sort of water movement. By using a powerhead, you can create a lot of current in the tank.

The best way around this is to switch from gravel to sand or a bare bottom tank.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RICH123 has shown reliable knowledge

OK,
Thanks for the help, I will see if I can get Hold of one with a spray bar to soften the flow for them.
Thanks again.

RICH123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, filters, needed, undergravel

LinkBack