The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

6 foot axolotl tank suggestions.

This is a discussion on 6 foot axolotl tank suggestions. within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hiya, I've kept axolotls for about 6 years now. At the moment I have a 3 ft with two medium ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lisapie has started on the right path
Default 6 foot axolotl tank suggestions.

Hiya,

I've kept axolotls for about 6 years now. At the moment I have a 3 ft with two medium sized female 3 year old axies in it, a 2.5 ft with a full grown female 6 year old axie in it and a 2 ft with a medium sized male 3 year old axie.

I'm due to move in about 2 months and was dreading the thought of moving all three tanks. Until I came across a friend selling a 6ft tank. I've always wanted a big tank, divided of course and this seems like a perfect opportunity. Theoretically I can get this moved in with plenty of time to cycle (with the help of aged filter media) and setup and just swap axies over when i move in.

I've got the dividing part sorted out and just need to buy the materials (plan on using plastic mesh, not too dense though, need good water flow). I use filter sand which I can buy from work, I'm looking at buying a 1000 or so per hour canister filter which i plan to diffuse the flow from (somehow). I'll move my driftwood and what few live plants and java moss I have. Still need to track down a 6ft hood for lighting.

I wanted some suggestions on whether I'm getting a big enough filter? I know I need a pretty big filter cause the tank could have anywhere between 300 litres and 600 litres depending how high i fill it. I'm probably not going higher than a ft so maybe at most 400lt.

Was also wondering about the male female issue. Last time my male spent any time in a tank with females he had axie relations with two of them. I know they'll be divided this time, but I'm inclined to think he might spawn anyway... I'm just hoping my mesh is enough protection (lol). Any thoughts?

And finally any suggestions or feedback anyone has would be well appreciated. I'm definately not new to aquariums, but I'm a little daunted by one this size. I'll be taking photos as i set up and complete it, so maybe check back in a few weeks and there might be some work in progress showing.

lisapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: 6 foot axolotl tank suggestions.

Personally, I would buy two half-size filters and put one on either end. This would ensure the whole tank is filtered, and would prevent stagnant areas.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lisapie has started on the right path
Default Re: 6 foot axolotl tank suggestions.

I'm looking at getting a 1000/1500 litre an hour canister filter. Or as you suggest two 500/750 litre an hour filters. Do you think that will be enough filtration? Or should I go higher? I'm just worried about creating too much turbulence in the tank.

lisapie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6ft, aquarium, axolotl, foot, setup, suggestions, tank

LinkBack