The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Glass divider questions and fears

This is a discussion on Glass divider questions and fears within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I'm in the secret planning stages of my next paludarium (kept secret from my husband), and I'd like to do ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Comments: 0
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Glass divider questions and fears

I'm in the secret planning stages of my next paludarium (kept secret from my husband), and I'd like to do a land/water set-up to eventually house 2 (or 3) T. marmoratus. That is my dream, but whatever I build may just end up housing more broken-striped newts. I want to make sure I include enough of a land area for the marmoratus, but I'd also like to maximize the water.

My fears: I'm really wary of going with a straight false-bottom due to issues of water quality, but I'm also scared of the glass divider. I've tried them in the past and I always end up with a leaky water area that swamps the land, leading to an eventual tear-down. So I guess I'm trying to decide how small of a land area I can get away with. The minimum tank size that I'd be using would be a 29 gallon (I'd like to go bigger... poor husband ).

So, questions:
1. Would a false bottom actually work?
2. Has anyone had success with glass dividers? Any tips? (I've looked at the Caudata Culture articles and the sloping plexiglass tank looks like what I'd want, but I'd like it to look more natural - I can probably handle that part.)
3. Anyone with marmoratus experience: how small can I make the land area? (This would be a permanent home for adults.)

Sorry this is so rambly - I like to think out loud. I'd really love to do something similar to what I have now, which has a land area made out of a little shelf. It works well for me because there's no possibility of the water swamping the land because it sits above the waterline. However, I don't know if I can get away with building a 'shelf' large enough to accomodate a more terrestrial species like marmoratus that is also structurally sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Glass divider questions and fears

hey erin. I've used plexi dividers and glass - both work. I put a large bead of silicone on both sides and gently & lightly smooth it with a finger wrapped in saran wrap. I let it cure for the full amount of time plus some if i can. then I fill one side with water, food coloring helps spot leaks too.

whats a false bottom?

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Master Oogway
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Comments: 0
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Glass divider questions and fears

Thanks Sharon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret_corner View Post
whats a false bottom?
It's when you block off the area under the land section with some kind of non-waterproof barrier and let water 'flow' freely back and forth to create a land/water divide. You use gravel or hydroton or some other material under your soil that's non-water holding.

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divider, fears, glass, questions

LinkBack