The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best Amphibian Filters: what are your choices?

This is a discussion on Best Amphibian Filters: what are your choices? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Based on my work with amphibians in zoos and with my own collection, Iíve set down some ideas on effective ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By findi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2013   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Best Amphibian Filters: what are your choices?

Based on my work with amphibians in zoos and with my own collection, Iíve set down some ideas on effective filtration. But the choices are expanding these days, so Iíd like to have your thoughts on these and any types you favor, thanks, Frank The Best Filters for Axolotls, Clawed Frogs, Newts and Other Amphibians That Reptile Blog

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Best Amphibian Filters: what are your choices?

I liked it. Quick, nice rundown on the pros and cons of all the more common filters. Learned something new about undergravel filters; was always told to avoid at all costs.

I've used the Zoo Med Turtle Clean Canister Filter in the past and did not find it to my liking. The filters had to be purchased every once in a while, and had problems filtering out finer particles. Since switching to a sponge filter, the cost has gone down dramatically and I am happy with the current level of mechanical filtration.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #3 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper408 View Post
I liked it. Quick, nice rundown on the pros and cons of all the more common filters. Learned something new about undergravel filters; was always told to avoid at all costs.

I've used the Zoo Med Turtle Clean Canister Filter in the past and did not find it to my liking. The filters had to be purchased every once in a while, and had problems filtering out finer particles. Since switching to a sponge filter, the cost has gone down dramatically and I am happy with the current level of mechanical filtration.
Much appreciated, Jasper. Thanks for the input on the TurtleClean, and glad to have sparked your interest in UG's. Sponges are another neglected option that can be very useful, usually provide good level of aerobic filtration as well.best, Frank

Old 22nd January 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: esn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I like this post because there are so many questions on this forum about suitable filters. It's nice to have a quick reference link now. The recommendations given are usually for low output filters - which confuses the people asking. I'm glad the option of spray bars is talked about, as well as undergravel and sponge filters.

I'm not usually picky about filters myself - I either make sponge filters or I plug up any other kind of high output waterfall filters with extra filter padding to make the flow a small trickle. Almost any filter can be modified for use with amphibians. I have the canister filter you talked about sitting in my storage unit. It was used successfully with an axolotl in a large tank for some time, but I haven't used it in around six months. My problem with filters usually stems from impeller issues, surprisingly. I always find myself having to order new impellers.

esn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #5 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esn View Post
I like this post because there are so many questions on this forum about suitable filters. It's nice to have a quick reference link now. The recommendations given are usually for low output filters - which confuses the people asking. I'm glad the option of spray bars is talked about, as well as undergravel and sponge filters.

I'm not usually picky about filters myself - I either make sponge filters or I plug up any other kind of high output waterfall filters with extra filter padding to make the flow a small trickle. Almost any filter can be modified for use with amphibians. I have the canister filter you talked about sitting in my storage unit. It was used successfully with an axolotl in a large tank for some time, but I haven't used it in around six months. My problem with filters usually stems from impeller issues, surprisingly. I always find myself having to order new impellers.
Thanks for the kind words, and for mentioning the possibility of altering other filters for use with amphibs. Some report that motors can become strained if full water flow is impeded, but I've not seen this. I've also routed outflows below gravel (as in reverse UG filters); this keeps debris from settling, and reduces currents, but cannot be done with all filters. I too often replace impellers; lately I've begun to remove them (if easily done) and rinse during filter changes. Best, Frank

Tags
filters, filtration

LinkBack