The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.

This is a discussion on Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster. within the Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; One of the first threads I made when I joined the forum was about setting up a tank for my ...

Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc Exhibit your setups here!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 12 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 2 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Lhagan
  • 1 Post By mindfrog
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.

One of the first threads I made when I joined the forum was about setting up a tank for my three pyrrhos.

Http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...rhogaster.html

Well, my group of three pyrrhos has become seven and things were starting to get crowded. I always swear I won't be keeping any more of their offspring, but I always do, so I decided to get them a bigger tank as well as one for my Alpines and another ready for when my Sword tails are mature.

I had the tanks custom made with black silicone to my measurements by Wharf aquatics and they've done a brilliant job, I would certainly recommend them to anybody for custom tanks and their shop is fantastic.

The biggest tank is 50 gallons and although the other two look small, they are 20 gallons each.
It was a major job swapping all the plants, sand, water, shrimp and newts over to their new tanks, but now its done I'm really happy with them. I was sorry to have to tear down my pyrrho tank because it was the first planted tank I'd had and it did really well, but hopefully the new tank will be similar once the plants get hold and start growing.

The newts seem happy with their new neighbourhood and have gone into full on breeding mode again, the pyrrhos are bright blue and the Alpines aren't even a year old yet, but they're already laying fertile eggs! The tank for the Sword tails is still empty at the moment as they're still terrestrial, but I think I might make it a shallow semi aquatic tank soon and see if I can persuade them to go back in the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9370.jpg   Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9372.jpg   Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9452.jpg   Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9433-1-.jpg   Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9451.jpg  

Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9453.jpg   Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9418.jpg   Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.-sam_9416.jpg  
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 94
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle has given consistently excellent advice and informationSith the turtle has given consistently excellent advice and informationSith the turtle has given consistently excellent advice and informationSith the turtle has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.

Beautiful tank and newts! I was about to ask for an update on the Pyrrhogaster pride parade thread, but this works nicely!
Old 12th March 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Thanks! :) They're fascinating creatures and very underrated. The usual assumption is they're still very common in the hobby like they were years ago, but they're actually quite rare these days.

Last edited by Chinadog; 12th March 2016 at 22:33.
Old 12th March 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lhagan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.

Your set ups are beautiful.
Lhagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ken123 has started on the right path

Awesome!

thanks a bunch-
ken123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mindfrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautifull set ups.
mindfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mroconno is an unknown quantity at this point

Love the tank. What kind of sand do you use? For cleaning do you just siphon the sand? I keep my C. pyrrogaster in bare bottom tanks with drift wood hides and java moss currently but want to put together something nice like your set-up. Thanks for the advice.
mroconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

It's just kid's play sand, I like using it because it's usually pretty clean straight out the bag and just needs a few rinses before it's ready to use. To keep it clean I just use a regular gravel cleaner, you just need to avoid sucking too much sand up at once and blocking the hose.