The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Vivarium enclosure

This is a discussion on Vivarium enclosure within the Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; New vivarium setup. It's about three feet diameter round galvanized tub with a layer of rocks soil and moss. There ...

Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc Exhibit your setups here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CBuckle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vivarium enclosure

New vivarium setup. It's about three feet diameter round galvanized tub with a layer of rocks soil and moss. There are a few plants and a half covered fish tank that will be inaccessible to other critters. It is sealed with screen and velcro. Let me know if anyone has opinions or advice for making this a newt enclosure.
Attached Thumbnails
Vivarium enclosure-21268866_1405853759529628_166452802_n.jpg   Vivarium enclosure-21244730_1405853766196294_1075796792_n.jpg  

CBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Vivarium enclosure

It looks interesting.
I considered doing something similar for small snakes, but abandoned the idea due to lack of space.
Here are some thought that I have:
- Is it escape proof?
- How will you keep the newts from rubbing their noses (or other parts) on the screen and injuring themselves?
- Is it easily accessible for routine maintenance?
- How will you control humidity?

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Newts are usually the more aquatic subset of salamanders (all newts are salamanders. Not all salamanders are newts). If they are truly aquatic they'll need water. Even many more terrestrial species, can usually benefit from a container with water (a small pool or something like that).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: CBuckle is an unknown quantity at this point

It is fully sealed around and the metal is tall enough I shouldn't have an issue with anything reaching the screen. However I am not very familiar with a newts climbing abilities while in terrestrial phases. it is also very soft screening and the screen extends past the velcro. I thought about adding a rubber or silicon sealant to those parts. I added a pool area in the front for more water and was planning to use an aquatic setup during periods of the year like I have read people do. For humidity I have a room that has high humidity for my other reptiles but if more is needed I will add something to increase humidity. I found some information that newts will develop skin issues if not aerated enough is why I went with screen instead of something else. It is accessible enough as I built in a sealing door area. I haven't fully decided what I will put in there but newts were my first option.
Thanks for the feedback!

CBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack