The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Fake rock wall mishap : (

This is a discussion on Fake rock wall mishap : ( within the Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I tried to make a pebble/great stuff background. Unfortunately I believe the great stuff dried before the pebbles I'm hoping ...

Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc Exhibit your setups here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tyler_mcdowell has started on the right path
Default Fake rock wall mishap : (

I tried to make a pebble/great stuff background. Unfortunately I believe the great stuff dried before the pebbles I'm hoping that the larger pebbles will stay put I don't have much hope for the smaller ones. What do you suggest I should use to glue the pebbles to the great stuff. Silicone, epoxy, spray can glue, paint? Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake rock wall mishap : (-p1000440.jpg  
tyler_mcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Fake rock wall mishap : (

If its just the small pebbles you can use silicone. It will hold them in place but it doesn't really make a great adhesive and can be difficult to work with. If I where you I would take rocks (except the biggest ones) off, put silicone down and do it over.

I usually put down great stuff (which can become tacky in 15 minutes), let it dry then shape it. After I am happy with the result I smother the great stuff (working in sections) in silicone and then immediately put my substrate on, firmly pushing it in.

You could also use glue but make sure its non-toxic. Although I believe most brands are after they dry and sit for awhile. Gorilla Glue comes to mind, a member on here used it to build his setup I think.

Good luck

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Best glue to use is Gorilla Glue. It is water activated, urethane based, and completely inert once dry. It will glue anything to anything.

Personally, I have dumped Great Stuff as a sculpting media. It shrinks too much over time for my liking.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009   #4 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Amen and Amen. Gorilla glue is basically a less expanding version of great stuff, and should stick very well to it (both urethane based). Also great stuff seems to keep shrinking for months in wet conditions, pulls away from silicone and glass over time. I haven't been the happiest with it, it has its pros and cons. It also absorbs water and warps if you have a water feature running over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
Best glue to use is Gorilla Glue. It is water activated, urethane based, and completely inert once dry. It will glue anything to anything.

Personally, I have dumped Great Stuff as a sculpting media. It shrinks too much over time for my liking.
taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009   #5 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Melmo has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
Yeah, I remember when I discovered Gorilla Glue. That glue works very well on many things.

There is one German glue (Forgot the name...) that is stronger than Gorilla Glue and dries faster. I'll try to find out what the name is.

You know those Germans make good stuff!
Melmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 8
Comments: 2
Rep: VolatileXIII is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I use Gorilla Glue if what I'm using it for will be submersed in water?

Ex: Making rock piles, attaching plastic plants, etc.

Thanks!
VolatileXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Yes, though it is better to create a new thread rather than resurrect an old one.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake, mishap, rock, wall