The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders

This is a discussion on Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders within the Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Several months ago, I constructed a little "sanctuary" for subterranean animals because the rest of my backyard was starting to ...

Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc Exhibit your setups here!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Markgilst
  • 2 Post By Markgilst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Markgilst has shown reliable knowledge
Default Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders

Several months ago, I constructed a little "sanctuary" for subterranean animals because the rest of my backyard was starting to desiccate and I wanted a way for the other animals (particularly salamanders ) to flourish in an area I could somewhat manage and observe. Basically I dug a little pit, added some leaves and other humus, covered it with a HEAVY slab of rock, and introduced worms, slugs, a couple salamanders, etc. Today I decided to lift the slab (very carefully, mind you) and the first thing I saw was one of the largest, healthiest slender salamanders scrambling for a place to hide. I kept looking under the leaves I added trying to cause as little damage as possible and found even more really healthy looking salamanders. In all I found about 3-5 and one or two juveniles. It really made my day. Here are the pics, sorry for the awkward blurs. My GoPro doesn't have a zoom button and I kinda don't know how to make it focus properly lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0310160.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0320162.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0330164.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0350169.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0360171.jpg  

Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0370172.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0380174.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0390176.jpg  

Markgilst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mshine1217 has given good advice and informationmshine1217 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders

That is so cool. May I ask what part of the country you live in? I live in Montana and woke up to an inch of new snow this morning. I am a couple of months away from having unfrozen ground... sigh.

Old 5th March 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: seandelevan has shown reliable knowledge

Cool! I tried something like that eons ago when I was a teenager. And as the kids say today it wan an epic fail.

seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Markgilst has shown reliable knowledge

I live in coastal southern california, near los angeles. Slender salamanders and alligator lizards are usually the only herps I find in my backyard so when I do find them it's great. I checked the slab again today and added more decaying plant matter to it. I also found a really small baby slender salamander and in nearby bricks I lifted I found quite a few (about 5 or so) adult or juvenile salamanders resting. The biggest was a kinda fat adult (probably gravid?) but I also found a juvenile with part of its tail missing. I moved them near the sanctuary and they crawled under it readily. I don't know which exact species the salamanders are, but they looked kinda distinct from eachother so they could possibly be different species. Here are the pictures, I need to learn how to do close-ups on a gopro because it's focusing on the background more than the actual subject lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0400180.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0410183.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0420184.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0430187.jpg   Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0440189.jpg  

Subterranean sanctuary for slender salamanders-g0470194.jpg  

Markgilst is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack