The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures

This is a discussion on Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures within the Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi all, Just wanted to share some pictures of a setup that I have found works extremely well. It is ...

Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc Exhibit your setups here!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By juraj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2014   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some pictures of a setup that I have found works extremely well. It is a plastic shoebox sized tub, that is setup to look like the forest floor of Germany, cause that the first place where I could find out what trees there are there. It has Alder leaves, Hazel leaves, Oak leaves, and Alder twigs. All of those trees are supposed to live in Germany. They also have a concrete hide. There is only one salamander per container. All I have to do is mist occasionally, add some woodlice slugs and worms, and once every month I have to get new leaves etc.. The salamanders are always nice and "plump", and one of them has grown almost half an inch in just over a month! I also cover it partially with a towel, just to provide some extra darkness. This is only a temporary setup until the spring when I put them in a outdoor vivaria. If they grow fast enough I might have to put them in larger tubs. We'll see.

And some pictures of them. Enjoy! -Seth
Attached Thumbnails
Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures-p1160425.jpg   Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures-p1160421.jpg   Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures-p1160417.jpg  

Old 18th June 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures

Why just only leaves ? Put in a little of soil instead.
Anyways it's useless to imitate German woods in a little plastic tube.Your sals will more likely appreciate proper Ph and humidity than fresh leaves.
j.

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Why just only leaves ? Put in a little of soil instead.
Anyways it's useless to imitate German woods in a little plastic tube.Your sals will more likely appreciate proper Ph and humidity than fresh leaves.
j.
If I put soil in there then worms, woodlice etc. would be able to escape much easier. The whole point of the setup is to easily monitor the salamanders and feed them. Why is it useless? Doesn't seem so useless to me. Humidity seems fine. It is working great, and the salamanders themselves seem very comfortable and happy. I doubt they really care that it has the same leaves as in Germany, especially since they are two generation CB, but why not? -Seth

Old 20th June 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TallTree01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent looking salamanders. Very pretty. It's nice you went through the trouble of finding German leaves but I don't think even I could tell the difference let alone a salamander.
Any close ups of the salamanders? :

TallTree01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTree01 View Post
Excellent looking salamanders. Very pretty. It's nice you went through the trouble of finding German leaves but I don't think even I could tell the difference let alone a salamander.
Any close ups of the salamanders? :
Yah I really don't know if they can tell the difference between leaves from one place to the next, but I thought I might as well do it cause I had the leaves at hand so I thought why not.
I will see if I can get some close ups for you -Seth

LinkBack