The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

What's eating my plants?

This is a discussion on What's eating my plants? within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Does anyone know what's eating the leaves on my plants? There's only snails and shrimp in there at the moment ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sde
  • 1 Post By Stupot1610
  • 1 Post By Leansgirl
  • 2 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default What's eating my plants?

Does anyone know what's eating the leaves on my plants? There's only snails and shrimp in there at the moment that I know of and they live in all my other tanks without doing any damage, so it can't be them. Whatever it is must have hitch-hiked in on some plants or livefood.
Attached Thumbnails
What's eating my plants?-sam_6345.jpg   What's eating my plants?-sam_6344.jpg   What's eating my plants?-sam_6340.jpg  
Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 73
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: What's eating my plants?

Oh, poor Echi!
It looks like winter stagnation to me, the snails are(ate) not guilty I presume.
J.
juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I know, it's being eaten as fast as it grows!
I don't think it's the snails, but I will look up the exact species I have and find out if they are known to eat plants like that.
Old 14th January 2015   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It looks like snails to me. That is the thing with snails, they are harmless little guys who are interesting to watch and then BAM! They start devouring your plants. It has happened to me before.
I could be wrong though, I am human
Old 15th January 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

I have great pond snails in my tanks and they like to munch on my aquatic plants, I have found that vallisneria are their favourites, I also have ramshorn snails but they prefer to eat detritus and waste.

Stuart
Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Leansgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

The snails will eat the plants. I used to breed snails and they will eat your plants if they arent getting enough food
Leansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015   #7 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Currently noticing that all my tanks that have live plants have multiple holes in them lol
Old 25th January 2015   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Could be from snails. Also could be from poor conditions for the plants. Low CO2 levels. Low potassium and iron levels. Could be a combination of everything.
Old 25th January 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Being as there's no newts in there at the moment I've been adding fertiliser, so iron and potassium should be fine. I've been feeding the snails a few pellets every day and the plants seem to have been left alone, touch wood.
Old 13th January 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mchivett is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks like the work of snails. When I had them, I had to empty my entire tank and individually bleach each of my decorations. It's been a month now though and my new plants are thriving.
mchivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Fumanchu is an unknown quantity at this point

Ramhorn snails are the worst. Put a half dozen assassin snails in there.
Fumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote