The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Anyone use Baby Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)?

This is a discussion on Anyone use Baby Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)? within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I am always looking for new plants to use in Salamandra setups and wanted to ask if anyone has any ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MasSalvaje

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MasSalvaje has started on the right path
Default Anyone use Baby Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)?

I am always looking for new plants to use in Salamandra setups and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with baby tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)? I know they are often used in decorative pots and terrariums, but do they do well with animals present? These are the terrestrial baby tears which are different than the dwarf baby tears used by aquarium hobbyists (Hemianthus callitrichoides I believe). Has anyone had any success or failure with this plant?

Thanks for the help,

-Thomas Wilder

MasSalvaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Daimler has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Anyone use Baby Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)?

this plant can survive 6 months underwater, and i think that can support the environment of caudata and anura terrarium (hight umidity) and obviously the presence of the animal.
here a link of the underwater test

Growing Soleirolia Soleirolii Immersed - Plant Physiology & Emersed Culture - Aquatic Plant Central

Daimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Absolutely love this plant. I love that it spreads quickly, very easy to propagate, is tolerant of varying light quality and soil types and that it's ok wet or dry. There are several shades these days but bare in mind the lighter green plants have a lower cholorophyl density and do require better light quality.

I love selaginella too. Looks good and is very tough and forgiving.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selaginella

For a more open growth which my mantellas like I grow maranta. There are several species but I go with Prayer Plants, How to Grow and Care for a Maranta Prayer Plant - Garden Helper, Gardening Questions and Answers
It is very forgiving too. Doesn't mind low light or bright light, prefers wetter than drier and doesn't mind things crawling over it.

Love plants. Good luck with yours.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Addicted is an unknown quantity at this point

I will try this in my paludarium when its finished. Will let you know

Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack