The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Easy to care for plants for my newt's tank?

This is a discussion on Easy to care for plants for my newt's tank? within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi, I'm just wondering if there's a specific type of plant that would do well in my newt's tank water: ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jewett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Megan9689 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easy to care for plants for my newt's tank?

Hi, I'm just wondering if there's a specific type of plant that would do well in my newt's tank water: are there any that do fine without a special light? I would like to have real plants in my tank but really want something low-maintenance.

Megan9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Easy to care for plants for my newt's tank?

I cant kill java moss, i have some in a tank that has no light and temp stays around 65 degrees.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Yeah java moss lives through any lighting conditions. I feel like Java ferns are like that as well.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

With low maintenance in mind, if you can position the tank where it gets a good amount of morning sun than you could probably get elodea/ anacharis to do well. This plant does not need to be planted as it does great floating, and it helps to keep water quality good.

As a caveat, if you do go with the natural sun method be sure to monitor water temperature very closely. In the winter this most likely will not be a problem, but come summer there is the potential that the water can warm up too much for your newt.

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Richie373 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always found Anubias, Java fern, elodea, hornwort and amazon swords to do well in low light tanks.
Mosses such as fontinalis and Java moss do very well too, and of course floating plants such as water lettuce are quick growing and inexpensive.
All with cold water too.
As mentioned above, if you can get some form of natural light that would be good.
Show us pictures once you've planted it up!

Richie373 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack