The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Aquatic plants

This is a discussion on Aquatic plants within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Does anyone have any aquatic plant species for sale for my newt tanks? Also please feel free to post pictures ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chezr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 5
Rep: ndbug is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Aquatic plants

Does anyone have any aquatic plant species for sale for my newt tanks? Also please feel free to post pictures of any aquatic aquarium plants you may have with species names xD
ndbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: chezr has started on the right path
Default Re: Aquatic plants

Without soil or a strong light you are pretty limited in which plants will flourish. My tank has monte-carlo, dwarf hair grass, anubia nana petite, java fern, vallisneria, with different species of bocaopa and rotala. A set up like this was difficult to maintain at first and without soil and high light, it wouldn't be possible.

Without soil, strong light, or fertilizer you will have a difficult time keeping plants growing healthy but species like anubias, java fern, vallisneria water wisteria, or anacharis/elodea will likely survive longest.
chezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: ndbug is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the valuable info Tyler! Ill be doing some research on the plants you mentioned.
ndbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has shown reliable knowledge

I have great success with Brazilian Pennywort, Hornwort, Water Sprite and Bacopa. As well as Java moss and ferns. I use either the Finnex Planted 24/7+ LED or the Beamswork EA FSoec LED for lighting.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: salvoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I would strongly recommend java fern, which does best attached to rocks, wood, and other objects and can thrive in very low light situations. No ferts would be needed in a low light situation either assuming regular water changes, other than perhaps adding some occasional trace elements (e.g., Seachem Flourish).
salvoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatic, freshwater, newt, plants