The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mystery egg on my elodea plant!

This is a discussion on Mystery egg on my elodea plant! within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I recently found what seems to be an amphibians egg in an elodea strand I keep in my juvenile C. ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Essad96

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Essad96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mystery egg on my elodea plant!

I recently found what seems to be an amphibians egg in an elodea strand I keep in my juvenile C. Orientalis tank, who have been converted to fully aquatic. I just needed a proffessional's opinion on whether it IS an egg or something else.. and if it was an egg, what species could it belong to (based on size and colour of egg) I will go back to the store where I bought the elodea from and ask where he gets it from, any geographical info could give a clue of what amphibian it is based on where it lives. I took a photo of it when I first saw it, but I lost it when I searched later in the day. Perhaps my newts ate it? I also couldn't find anymore (yet) if there are any. Sorry for the quality of the photo, the egg was really small and I had to zoom in with my phone.

P.S. does it even look fertilized? There was no fungus or any fuzz on it. Also, the reason I want to find out is because I currently keep the tank at 20C or less. If the animal turns out to be a frog from a warmer climate, I wouldnt want it to die in the cold water suitable for newts.
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170124_164507.jpg  

Essad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Mystery egg on my elodea plant!

The picture isn't good enough to be exactly sure, but it seems to have a transparant membrane and a brown round/oval core.If so, than it's probably a newt egg. I don't know what size/age your newts have, but it could be a C.orientalis egg if they're >2 years old. Considering the size of the egg I would say that it's a bit smaller than a regular C.orientalis egg, but the Eleodea could be a larger variety than I have at home.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you for your reply, forget the eggs! I found two tiny tadpoles! It was when I was going to perform a water change in my same tank! I noticed one and at first I thought it was a mayfly's larvae ( I get those alot as elodea hitchhikers) till I zoomed in on it. So I removed all plants in the tank, and all the newts in it to find that there was another tadpole hiding in the debris. I moved both of them to a jar of their own, temporarily. I still have doubts that theyre C. Orientalis tadpoles because I haven't seen any of my adult newts mate or even perform any mating rituals. When I first saw the egg though, I assumed it came with the elodea already and not the newts so I might be wrong. Heres a couple of pics of the babies and their alleged parents, I hope these help you more than the egg picture haha!
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170505_233754.jpg   Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170505_234131.jpg   Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170505_234059.jpg   Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170505_234324.jpg   Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170505_234114.jpg  

Mystery egg on my elodea plant!-20170505_233912.jpg  

Old 6th May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essad96 View Post
Thank you for your reply, forget the eggs! I found two tiny tadpoles! It was when I was going to perform a water change in my same tank! I noticed one and at first I thought it was a mayfly's larvae ( I get those alot as elodea hitchhikers) till I zoomed in on it. So I removed all plants in the tank, and all the newts in it to find that there was another tadpole hiding in the debris. I moved both of them to a jar of their own, temporarily. I still have doubts that theyre C. Orientalis tadpoles because I haven't seen any of my adult newts mate or even perform any mating rituals. When I first saw the egg though, I assumed it came with the elodea already and not the newts so I might be wrong. Heres a couple of pics of the babies and their alleged parents, I hope these help you more than the egg picture haha!
They look like orientalis larvae to me.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

C.orientalis of that size can reproduce for sure. I guess you've got them to breed, because those larvae look like C.orientalis. Check the foto's in this thread for comparison:

H.orientalis eggs.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Wow, the larvae from the thread really do look like mine. I dont know if you can see it from the pictures, but one has already started growing front and back legs. Are they usually lethargic? They don't seem to be moving much, and I haven't seen them eat yet. I placed a japanese moss ball inside with them because I've always noticed these tiny, almost microscopic critters swimming in and out of them. Hopefully they might work as a source of food for now. It's really amazing that my Orientalis bred, especially since our winters barely reach 12C and we've just entered summer. I've also never seen my females become gravid. I don't even know how the larvae survived without me providing food.

LinkBack