The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Need suggestions for floating plants

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for floating plants within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I need suggestions for floating plants to put in my paludarium. The paludarium is 4' x 8' x 6' tall. ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Blackbun
  • 1 Post By Herpin Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge
Default Need suggestions for floating plants

I need suggestions for floating plants to put in my paludarium.
The paludarium is 4' x 8' x 6' tall. The lighting is 3' or so above the surface of the water, and appears to be sufficient for the terrestrial plants. However, I have tried water hyacinth and water lettuce, and I can't keep them alive, presumably due to the distance from the light.
I have a large water surface area that I would like to cover with floating plants.
Any ideas?

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Need suggestions for floating plants

Hi Herpin Man, the two plants you've tried unsuccessfully are large and best used in pools and ponds under natural high intensity light and both are tender and killed by frosts if you do keep them outside.
I have success with salvinia. It looks good, grows quickly, easily controlled, its dangly roots provide shelter for young larvae and because of its rapid growth it'll mop those nitrates up. Oh, and it's tolerant of the lighting quality of an enclosure.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvinia_natans

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge

If it can thrive under fluorescent lighting, it might be exactly what I'm looking for- thanks.

Old 21st June 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

What about using things like immersed pothos or frogbit?

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have ruled out frogbit, because (from what I've read) the upper surface of the leaves must stay dry, and I mist this enclosure.
I am trying to get some pothos started in water, but not much seems to be happening, other than the leaves turning yellow.
Although I am reasonably capable at keeping amphibians and reptiles alive, I don't seem to have the same success with plants.

Old 24th June 2017   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You can always try duckweed, but once you get this in your enclosure it's almost impossible to get it out without completely cleaning it.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lertsch has shown reliable knowledge

You could float 'oak leaf' water sprite (ceratopteris cornuta). It's leaves tend to be broader than the more common type of water sprite (ceratopteris thalictroides). Do quite well floating, sprending out and multiplying. And it's usually available on Ebay.

Lertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Salvinia works well (the small kind). I really like "Greater Duckweed". It's easier to control than ordinary duckweed (nightmare!!). The species is "Spirodela polyrhiza". I got some from Ebay a few months ago after not having it for a few years.

Old 27th June 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has shown reliable knowledgeMethos5K has shown reliable knowledge

Most of my pond-type habitats for newts have Brazilian Pennywort in them. It's a floating bog-type plant that doesn't require strong light or ferts/CO2. The original plant I ordered years ago is now split up in several tanks. It's attractive, and newts like loafing among the leaves.

Old 28th June 2017   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 3
Rep: eyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lertsch View Post
You could float 'oak leaf' water sprite (ceratopteris cornuta). It's leaves tend to be broader than the more common type of water sprite (ceratopteris thalictroides). Do quite well floating, sprending out and multiplying. And it's usually available on Ebay.
I'll second this! I'm a longtime fan of Ceratopteris. I currently use both species mentioned.

eyrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

I got some water sprite a few weeks ago. The guy at the fish store told me it would double in about a month. Instead, it is turning brown and shriveling up.
Although the lights are about 3' above the surface, all of my terrestrial plants are thriving.
I have not yet found Brazilian pennywort locally.

LinkBack