The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Riccia Moss

This is a discussion on Riccia Moss within the Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi guys. I just got some for my tank and I was wondering how you get it to flourish instead ...

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Viv is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Riccia Moss

Hi guys. I just got some for my tank and I was wondering how you get it to flourish instead of being a small clump of it floating on the top of the water. I know riccia floats but I have seen pictures of it on the bottom of tanks. Thanks
Viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 40
Comments: 3
Rep: Logan has shown reliable knowledgeLogan has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Riccia Moss

I have seen it spread a lot faster when anchored to something. Some people use something to attach it to driftwood until it takes to the driftwood or if you have land you can start it on the shoreline and let it spread downward and up on to the land. Either way Riccia does best in high light situations.
Logan
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Viv is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I will try your methods.
Viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 6
Rep: eldaldo has given consistently good advice and informationeldaldo has given consistently good advice and informationeldaldo has given consistently good advice and informationeldaldo has given consistently good advice and information

While I have no experience with the plant myself, I have done alot of reading about it because of it's really awesome carpet appearance in planted tanks. I was under the impression that it not only needed high light, but CO2 to have the lush beautiful carpet that you see in your typical riccia tank. However, I have never tried it myself for that reason, so maybe there's people who know a different side of riccia!
eldaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: joeysgreen has shown reliable knowledge

Can you guys post a picture of your "riccia tank" ? You've peaked my interests :)

Ian
joeysgreen is offline   Reply With Quote