The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help! My newt isn't eating!

This is a discussion on Help! My newt isn't eating! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Help! My newt isn't eating! I'm looking after my friend's newt while she's away for 5 weeks. I don't know ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By kuawaia
  • 1 Post By kuawaia
  • 1 Post By Methos5K
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kuawaia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! My newt isn't eating!

Help! My newt isn't eating!

I'm looking after my friend's newt while she's away for 5 weeks. I don't know what kind it is, except it's about 2 inches long and black. He's in a small aquarium with water and a plastic plant he can sit on out of the water. He hasn't eaten since she brought him over, almost two weeks ago. I don't know what to do. He gets frozen blood worms. I've got him in a cool dark place - she saw it when she brought him over and said it was fine. I'm panicking. He's stayed with me before and there was no problem.

Any suggestions?

kuawaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Help! My newt isn't eating!

Could you post pics of the newt and its tank? it would make offering advice much easier if we could see exactly what you have.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Also, frozen bloodworms are not nutritionally complete. I would recommend chopped earthworms or Canadian Nightcrawlers as a staple.

Old 27th July 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
Could you post pics of the newt and its tank? it would make offering advice much easier if we could see exactly what you have.
I've uploaded to pictures to my albums (I'm just learning to use this forum!).

Could he be losing his skin? This morning I went to change the water in the tank, and when I picked him up he was stiff. I thought he was dead. I dropped him in the tank - just reflexively. A few minutes later he had changed shape - stretched out. I just thought the water was softening the dead body. But then a few more minutes I couldn't see him and I found him in the plastic plant. So I took the plant out and found some black stuff in the water which maybe is his skin?? So I cleaned the tank, put fresh water, put him back and am praying.

Old 27th July 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
Also, frozen bloodworms are not nutritionally complete. I would recommend chopped earthworms or Canadian Nightcrawlers as a staple.
He's always eaten frozen bloodworms since my friend got him but I could give it a try. But some of those worms would be bigger than him, he's only about two inches long.

Old 27th July 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has shown reliable knowledgeMethos5K has shown reliable knowledge

You can cut up the nightcrawler/earthworms into small pieces for him. Here is a link to an article here that can help.

I have never met a newt that didn't go for worm chunks! Good luck!

Methos5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

From the picture it looks like a Chinese fire belly newt, and on the album picture, it says that the newt does not go into water that often. I would first of, get a larger tank for my follow up question, and my follow up is to get a water quality check thingy to make sure the ammonia and ph are not to high, I would also raise the water level, and aquatic plants and or moss balls, to help with stress

Old 28th July 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Yes looking at the tank I would guess water quality/temperature are the issue. The minimum recommended water volume for aquatic newts is ten gallons. Smaller volumes will often be very unstable in terms of temperature and water chemistry.
Being as it isn't your newt it would probably be easiest to change 100% of his water every couple of days with either dechlorinated tap water or cheap bottled water, that way you will be certain that ammonia or nitrite aren't stressing him out. A bunch of live plants would help a lot if you can get any.
Once things stabilise you should keep trying the chopped nightcrawlers or even the bloodworm to begin with and hopefully he will start getting hungry.

Here is the care sheet for Chinese firebellies.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks, I'll try that.

Old 30th July 2015   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
Yes looking at the tank I would guess water quality/temperature are the issue. The minimum recommended water volume for aquatic newts is ten gallons. Smaller volumes will often be very unstable in terms of temperature and water chemistry.
Being as it isn't your newt it would probably be easiest to change 100% of his water every couple of days with either dechlorinated tap water or cheap bottled water, that way you will be certain that ammonia or nitrite aren't stressing him out. A bunch of live plants would help a lot if you can get any.
Once things stabilise you should keep trying the chopped nightcrawlers or even the bloodworm to begin with and hopefully he will start getting hungry.

Here is the care sheet for Chinese firebellies.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly
Thank you!

Tags
not eating

LinkBack