The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

More newts!

This is a discussion on More newts! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Who says Taricha choose to eat small foods?: Earlier today, I tried feeding them terrestrial this time for the female, ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2015   #21 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking Re: More newts!

Who says Taricha choose to eat small foods?: Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Earlier today, I tried feeding them terrestrial this time for the female, and none of them ate. Dumped the nightcrawler bits, and lost my worm cutting knife, so I just put the 2-3 inch worm in, and male focused in on it, and attacked it. Went in, bit, tore off a chunk, retreatd, and repeated. Also, female didn't eat this time, should I be worried?

Last edited by Sith the turtle; 12th October 2015 at 01:56.
Sith the turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Doomus is an unknown quantity at this point

No I wouldent worry she could still be abit stressed about the move and new environment and you said you were pretty sure she ate a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #23 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: More newts!

Why are you taking them out of their setup to feed? That doesn't usually yield good results. I would suggest feeding them in their enclosure, it minimizes stress. That may be why the female didn't eat.
Have you added woodlice to their enclosure yet?
Also, the male's skin looks as if it is becoming more adept to being aquatic, is he spending most his time in the water bowl?

Old 12th October 2015   #24 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

He is, and I move them out so I can monitor them. I have two real hides, but they love to stay underneath the moss. Male loves the water, female is still terrestrial.

Old 12th October 2015   #25 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

In my opinion you would be better off leaving them in their own enclosure and have a feeding dish of some sort. And adding woodlice will help as well
Adding bark and stacking it would be a good idea, that way there is a humidity gradient allowing them to choose what is most comfortable.

If you have a spare tank i would recommend setting up an aquatic tank and get it started on cycling for when they go aquatic. Make sure it has plenty of land areas, though, like a turtle dock and cork floats. They need to have the option to exit the water ( especially the females ).

Old 12th October 2015   #26 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Okay, putting that stuff on the list. Been really busy these past weeks and It'll be even more busy later this week

Old 13th October 2015   #27 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Mini crisis averted: Okay, I was going to feed my newts chopped nightcrawlers, and I lifted the moss where they typically hide, and only found the male. Fed him a nightcrawler bit, and went t find the female. Didn't. Searched high and low, inside and outside, looked in the soil incase somehow she burrowed, and when I couldn't find any signs of her, I had a mini heart attack, and searched the entire shed for any signs. Went back to one of the hides she never uses, and what do I see when I lift it? A orange and brown tail, and I found her! Needless to say, we all have had this moment.

Tags
newts, rough-skinned newt, taricha, taricha granulosa

LinkBack