The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

More newts!

This is a discussion on More newts! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So happy! Traded my pair of Five-lined skinks for some Taricha granulosa! Got them in today, and are fine after ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2015   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking More newts!

So happy! Traded my pair of Five-lined skinks for some Taricha granulosa! Got them in today, and are fine after a shipping delay. Pictures will come shortly!

Old 2nd October 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking Re: More newts!

The setup: Click the image to open in full size.

The male: Click the image to open in full size.

The female: Click the image to open in full size.

Old 6th October 2015   #3 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TatoTesla has started on the right path
Default Re: More newts!

Yay taricha!

This is a few days late but I'm just now seeing this post.. Where did you get them from? They are adorable.

TatoTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Comments: 0
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm sorry to say it, but they really don't look good. Maybe I'm wrong, but they look very skinny. I'd be watching them closely to make sure they gain weight.

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfoot View Post
I'm sorry to say it, but they really don't look good. Maybe I'm wrong, but they look very skinny. I'd be watching them closely to make sure they gain weight.
I am, female is eating every now and again, male is aggressive when it comes to food, eats like a pig. Female and male look very healthy in real life though. Going to get more pics later, they fattened up slightly more in real life. Male is black, and female is brown

Old 6th October 2015   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatoTesla View Post
Yay taricha!

This is a few days late but I'm just now seeing this post.. Where did you get them from? They are adorable.
Got them from Neotenic_Jaymes, not his bred, but they are CB

Old 7th October 2015   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

They are skinny. Do you think they might prefer a more aquatic environment? My t grans are almost completely aquatic.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

They could, but the female doesn't like eating in water. she prefers terrestrial insects, such as tweezers fed crickets, and chopped night-crawlers

Old 7th October 2015   #9 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Personally i suggest they stay terrestrial until they fatten up, as it is easier to monitor them and ensure they have ideal conditions.

Old 7th October 2015   #10 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Okay, I'm going to get wax-worms today when I go to the pet-store to get the crickets. Any tips on enticing the picky one to eat? The male will probably just eat them in front of her...

Old 7th October 2015   #11 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Drop a worm in front of the male and once he starts eating it, drop one in front of the female. Don't move it or anything, just drop it there and let it move on its own.
You want to feed the male first because once he has already started feeding on one worm he will not pay attention to any others, he will simply be trying to swallow the worm he already has.
Adding woodlice to the setup would be great as well.

Old 7th October 2015   #12 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Hey, wanted to update, the newts ate some worms today!!! Didn't see them do it, because I was letting them settle with a method like this one: Four "Chinese" Rough-skinned Newts I used Canadian night-crawlers, and chopped them up into about 8-10 pieces. Left them for about 15-30 minuets alone with them, and when I came back, there were 5-6 pieces left. Female was chubbier and heavier, and male was slightly heavier. So happy right now!!!

Old 7th October 2015   #13 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

That's great news, Xavier.
You saying you chopped them into 8-10 pieces made me think of something that i have read and experienced, T. granulosa prefers smaller food items then you would think. Chopping the worms into small pieces will probably get a better feeding response than larger pieces.

Old 7th October 2015   #14 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I know, I read that today. Going to make them smaller next time

Old 8th October 2015   #15 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Here is a cloaca pic of the presumable female:Click the image to open in full size.

And the male:Click the image to open in full size.

Old 9th October 2015   #16 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

That's a pair.
Is there something on the female's cloaca, or is that just coloration?

Old 9th October 2015   #17 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Coloration. She has random brown bits right behind her arm, on her cloaca, and I thought I saw one on her tail, but that could have been a reflection.

Old 9th October 2015   #18 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Cool. I have only ever found one like that before in the wild. They are looking a lot better, by the way.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 9th October 2015   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: Rupert has shown reliable knowledgeRupert has shown reliable knowledge

Taricha are such cute little fatties ...

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015   #20 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde View Post
Cool. I have only ever found one like that before in the wild. They are looking a lot better, by the way.

Click the image to open in full size.
Yeah, it's exactly like that at first I thought it as a wound, but it doesn't seem to bother her in any way

Tags
newts, rough-skinned newt, taricha, taricha granulosa

LinkBack