The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Plants safe for FB Newts?

This is a discussion on Plants safe for FB Newts? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi, I ordered some FireBelly newts that'll be here on Wednesday, and my mom suggested I put some vines in ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jewett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ronathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Plants safe for FB Newts?

Hi, I ordered some FireBelly newts that'll be here on Wednesday, and my mom suggested I put some vines in their tank. We have lots of pothos growing all around our house, and I was wondering if that was safe to grow in the tank? Also, if you have any suggestions for easy to grow tank plants, leave them below!
Thanks!

Ronathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Plants safe for FB Newts?

I have grown pothos vines in newt tanks, but you need to be sure that no chemicals have been used on the cuttings prior to putting them in with your animals. Any fertilizers, pesticides, etc, will be very harmful to any newt, let alone new imports (if yours are not captive bred). Even if the cuttings are from plants that you personally do not use chemicals on, I would not use the cuttings if the plant had not been in my possession for many months, as I am sure commercial greenhouses douse their products in plenty of chemicals prior to sell. It just would not be worth the risk.

The pothos did OK for me in low light and low temps while in the newt tank, but never did great. Chinese firebellies really benefit from habitats crammed full of live plants - they like the security that the overgrowth affords them, and the plants aide in achieving good water quality. I have had good luck with elodea, which I have purchased from local Petsmarts. My local store sells them in bunches for pretty inexpensive, and these plants do well in the conditions newts need - cool temps, still water, and relatively low lights. They also can be left free floating and do not need CO2 injection to do well.

Regardless of what plants you decide to use, you will need a light source for them, and get more than what you think you will need - the newts will benefit from all the foliage and I know I have been surprised by how many plants it takes to fill even a 10 gallon aquarium.

Good luck! If you have not already done so, take several hours (days, even) and browse the site - there is so much you can learn and your animals will only benefit from all the knowledge you will have gained :)

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Plants safe for FB Newts?

Elodea/anacharis is a good plant, also makes for a good egg laying plant as well

Tags
fire bellied newt, fire bellied newts, newts, plants, pothos, tank set up

LinkBack