The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

FireBellied Newts Not Eating?

This is a discussion on FireBellied Newts Not Eating? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I just got 4 juvenile firebellies on Wednesday, which means that they last ate on Tuesday. They range in sizes ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronathan
  • 3 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ronathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question FireBellied Newts Not Eating?

I just got 4 juvenile firebellies on Wednesday, which means that they last ate on Tuesday. They range in sizes from 1 inch to about 1.75-1.8 inches. I got meal worms from my local specialty pet store (For frogs, salamanders, lizards, exotic fish etc.) because they are pretty small. I've tried hand feeding them, holding them while feeding them, and putting the food in their terrarium in different ways. All with whole meal worms and meal worms cut in half. Every time I try to feed them, they either turn away or walk past the food. Please tell me if you think they don't like mealworms or if they might just not be hungry. Thanks!

Ronathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: FireBellied Newts Not Eating?

Hi! Sounds like you are beginning the first step into our hobby! Sadly, most Chinese fire-belly newts are mass exported from China, and have loads of illnesses and other problems. Night-crawlers (Found in the fishing section of Wal-Mart) make a great food alternative for the newts. The meal-worms aren't very nutritious, they are hard to digest, and if they aren't alive, they will not eat them. Here is the care-sheet for the newts: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly and the food guide: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates And you should also make sure that their tank is properly cycled, and if you don't know how to do so, here is the article on that: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Old 13th December 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ronathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: FireBellied Newts Not Eating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
Hi! Sounds like you are beginning the first step into our hobby! Sadly, most Chinese fire-belly newts are mass exported from China, and have loads of illnesses and other problems. Night-crawlers (Found in the fishing section of Wal-Mart) make a great food alternative for the newts. The meal-worms aren't very nutritious, they are hard to digest, and if they aren't alive, they will not eat them. Here is the care-sheet for the newts: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly and the food guide: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates And you should also make sure that their tank is properly cycled, and if you don't know how to do so, here is the article on that: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Thanks for the info, but they aren't Chinese firebellies, they're Cynops cyanurus, and I keep the tank semi aquatic with moss, a water dish that takes up most the tank, and a bunch of hiding spots for them. I clean out their water dish every day and fill it with bottled water. Occasionally I mist down the moss to keep it moist for them too. The mealworms are live, but I will go get some earthworms to see if the mealworms are the problem. Thanks!

Ronathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: FireBellied Newts Not Eating?

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
It would be helpful if you could post some pics of the newts and their set up, its much easier to give advice if we can see how they are being kept.
Have a read of these links for now if you haven't already, I know the first one relates to Chinese firebellies, but its just as relevant to H. cyanurus.
Once we can see what's what and perfect their tank, we'll get them eating like champs I'm sure. :)

New Chinese fire belly newts not eating

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cy...cyanurus.shtml

Last edited by Chinadog; 13th December 2015 at 19:22.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firebellied newts, firebellies, firebelly newts, meal worms, mealworms, newts

LinkBack