The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How many plants for a 10 gal tank?

This is a discussion on How many plants for a 10 gal tank? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I've been planning and reading up on keeping one fire bellied newt and what I'll need in the tank, and ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By JM29
  • 1 Post By moth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: moth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many plants for a 10 gal tank?

I've been planning and reading up on keeping one fire bellied newt and what I'll need in the tank, and so far it seems plants with a sponge filter are the best filtration (or no sponge filter at all). But I'm not sure how much is too much or how much is not enough as far as plants go.

To go along with that, what are some of the best types of plants to keep in the colder environment the newts like?

( I haven't bought anything yet. I'm still heavily in my planning stages, I've read all the articles Caudata Culture had to offer and all. I do have my eyes on a 10 gal tank at a pet store that's on sale, though. I also plan to find a breeder to buy the newt from as I know most pet stores are not good with them. )

edit. Is there a way to have a tank with out live plants but still have decent filtration ? Would 'moss balls' (the little green algae balls), or the like work as well ?

moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: How many plants for a 10 gal tank?

Hi, welcome to the site. :) It's nice to see someone researching before rather than after getting animals!
You really can't have too many plants for firebellies, the more the better. Even if you can't see from one side of the tank to the other the newts will still be very happy. It doesn't matter what kind of plants either, just the cheap bunched stuff that petstores sell is perfect.
Sure you can have excellent filtration without plants, they help a tank cycle much quicker and mean far less tank maintenance is needed, but its possible to get by without them.
However, for Japanese/Chinese firebellies live plants are essential. They will spend most of their time crawling through the stems and leaves and are dependent on them for laying eggs in the breeding season.
If you can't have at least some live plants it would be better to look at species that don't need them so much, Neurergus kaiseri spring to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

I totally agree with Chinadog and this advice is also good for other caudates.
If the plants grow fast, they help keeping a good water quality.

But if they grow fast, you'll have to remove some plants in excess from time to time.
Please don't throw your excess plants in a river or a pond : some aquatic plants like the elodea Egeria densa or the water pest Ludwigia peploides can become invasive.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: moth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both!! Though, because of the almost impossibility of getting hold of a CB newt I think I'll be setting my sights on an Axolotl which seems a bit better and more realistic for me.
One day I hope to get one, but I'll wait 'till they're being breed in captive more widely.

moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Thecomickid is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, exactly i have a bunch of plants in my newts tanks, if you still cant find fire bellied newts, mine just laid a bunch of eggs and many have hatched, you can buy some if you want

Thecomickid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fire bellied, fire bellied newts, newts, planning, plants, tank

LinkBack