The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Semi Aquatic to Aquatic?

This is a discussion on Semi Aquatic to Aquatic? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello, I have 4 firebellied newts(Cynops Cyanurus), still pretty young (I got them from a breeder, I believe them to ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ronathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Semi Aquatic to Aquatic?

Hello, I have 4 firebellied newts(Cynops Cyanurus), still pretty young (I got them from a breeder, I believe them to be 3-4 months old as efts). I currently keep them in a 10 gallon tank with moss as a substrate. It has a large water bowl that takes up about 1/3 of the tank for them to swim in. The rest of the tank is full of hiding spots and such. They spend most of the day hiding in the damp moss, but sometimes at night, they like to go into the water dish. After setting up their tank this way, I would actually prefer to keep them fully aquatic. My question is if i'm able to do that at this stage in their lives. Thanks for the help!

Ronathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Semi Aquatic to Aquatic?

You should be fine whenever you want. Start off with a very shallow set up with loads of plants, then slowly increase the depth over a few weeks and add more plants to prevent drowning. They might climb the sides for a while, but they should spend more and more time in the water until eventually they'll stay there. I think generally, with Cynops/Hypselotriton, the the older they are, the more willing they are to go back to the water, but cyanurus are often raised fully aquatic from the start.
This is the kind of set up you should be aiming for to begin with. As they grow and become better swimmers you can fill it up with water and thin out the plants a bit, but to begin with, you want them really crammed in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Semi Aquatic to Aquatic?-baby-pyrrhos.jpg  

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cynops cyanurus, fire bellied newts, fire belly newts, firebellied newt, firebellied newts, firebellies, newts

LinkBack