The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My FBN isn't eating or going into the water

This is a discussion on My FBN isn't eating or going into the water within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I purchased 2 fire belly newts 6 days and one week ago today! I am very pleased with them however ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Punjiljh is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy My FBN isn't eating or going into the water

I purchased 2 fire belly newts 6 days and one week ago today!
I am very pleased with them however I am highly worried about my male one!
It hasn't eaten once since I've got him and I have offered him blood worms, earthworms, freeze dried shrimp and blood worms(what the pet shop fed them) and no luck what so ever.
He is also spending all of his days on top of a fake plant I keep him hydrated to the best of my ability and try feeding him along with the other newt. I have lowered the plant and been patiently worrying to see if my little guy will get some food down him.
I'm getting worried a lot now since it is reaching the 2 week mark and he dosent seem to be getting any better.
On the other hand my female newt is loving exploring and demoloshing the worms I have to offer

Any help or reassurance would be very helpful thank you!

Punjiljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: My FBN isn't eating or going into the water

Welcome to the forum!

This is a widely and frequently discussed topic. If you peruse through the help section you will find many threads relating to this. This one is pasted to the top of the section as a sticky: New Chinese fire belly newts not eating

So keep the newt cool, make sure it has hiding spots to help it feel more secure (this may mean removing it from an aquatic setup and placing in a temporary terrestrial enclosure) and keep trying with the feedings.

Best of luck,

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Punjiljh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My FBN isn't eating or going into the water

Thank you for the reply and I have read a few forums and posts about newts not settling in straight away. I was highly concede ring moving him into a terrestrial set up but I didn't want to scare him so I left him. I will just keep patient and try feeding him again tomorrow. I will post if he gets any worse or if he finally accepts some food!
Thank you

Punjiljh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire belly newt, not eating, not moving

LinkBack