The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Changing my tank set up basic questions!

This is a discussion on Changing my tank set up basic questions! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I own 2 Chinese fire belly newts for around 2 weeks now and since I have made my first tank ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Punjiljh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Changing my tank set up basic questions!

I own 2 Chinese fire belly newts for around 2 weeks now and since I have made my first tank set up I have a great idea for a new set up. I'm thinking about re doing there tank in the Easter holidays ( I would own them for around 5 weeks by then )
Is this enough time for them to be able to re settle in a new environment?
Would sand as a substrate be okay ?
What should I keep my newts in while I'm re doing the tank and keep them happy?
If sand is suitable would my filter suck it all up ?
Would this be a good time to introduce a new Chinese fire belly ?

Thank you and sorry if these are dumb questions I'm just being carefully

Punjiljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given good advice and informationAuSu has given good advice and information
Default Re: Changing my tank set up basic questions!

Welcome to the forum!
Have you already read this: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly There's good information about chinese fire belly newts. You could also check caudata culture pics to make sure both of your newts are same species (pet shops mix them easily and that could result the other doesn't want to go into water - many times wild caught animals are very stressed, too, and that makes them stay on land).
About sand, many people use it and it's a good choice. Which filter you have? If you have an internal filter, that might be the reason one being out of water since they produce current (you can hear/feel it if you listen the tank side glass). I can't give you any good advice about sand and filters since I have half large gravel (not the ideal bottom) and half bare bottom in my tanks. But someone will surely help you out with this and you could also read through the threads, here's lots of information available :)
While setting your tank again, your newts could just stay in a bucket filled with moist aqua plants (remember cover) if it doesn't take that long. Have you cycled your tank? Good luck with your newts!
PS. I wouldn't introduce another newt until you have these two doing fine and all the conditions well.

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Punjiljh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have read that and it's very useful! They both are the same species as far as I can tell both black with a orange underbelly. I have a elite stingray 5 as my filter which does my a current and does have a quite humm to it but there are no vibrations on the glass. I have considered moving him into a terrestrial set up but I don't want to scare the living newt out of him. I have cycled my tank and will I need to re cycle it when I decide to change the set up ? And thank you !

Punjiljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given good advice and informationAuSu has given good advice and information

If you don't brush the whole tank and decorations so that you miss all the good bacteria, there should be them available and you could start straight again. Also filter holds a great amount of good things so don't clean it in the same time when making changes in the setup. Of course, if newts are stressed and there's no healthy reasons to change setup, then you could wait a little longer and just let them settle in.

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire belly newts, questions, substrate, tank

LinkBack