The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT

This is a discussion on FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I understand the benefits of aging water, but if there are chloramines in the tap water it will not break ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2016   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CatSpit has given good advice and informationCatSpit has given good advice and information
Default Re: FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT

I understand the benefits of aging water, but if there are chloramines in the tap water it will not break down as quickly as chlorine does and it is toxic to aquarium life. I would suggest that Natuhlee should contact her water supplier to determine if chloramines are used in her area first.

Information from Tampa Bay Water Organization as they use chloramines in their water supply:

Removing Chloramines for Fish Tanks

CatSpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016   #22 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Oh, my goodness - I didn't finish my thought so thank you for the correction CatSpit! I had meant to write "I would forgo the water conditioner all together if you don't have chloramines and simply let the water age..."

Don't know where the lapse in thought completion came from but CatSpit is absolutely correct about the use of a water conditioner if you have chroramines in your tap water.

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: natuhlee is an unknown quantity at this point

How long should I let the water set before adding it, if I don't use a water conditioner? I've been doing about 20% water changes every day and newt seemed to be going in a little more, but still not eating. I've put him in a separate tank now with some live plants and a little thing to sit on, and a little bit of water (a couple inches). He's sort of exploring around and is going into the water slowly as I'm typing this! I'm thinking of keeping him there as the water in the normal tank evens out. Does that sound like a good idea?

natuhlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016   #24 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

You can keep him in a separate tank while your tank cycles, and do 100% water changes daily. I would suggest using a water conditioner as it will save you time (rather than letting it age) and it saves you worrying about chloramines, which is just one more thing to worry about on top of everything else for now. Make sure the water is an appropriate temperature.
It is very important that you get a water test kit and cycle your main tank correctly, especially as you have the other newt still in there. You will find information on cycling tanks in the following article

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

I hope that this helps, but if you have any further questions please let us know.
Best of luck to you and your newts.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've been doing water changes daily in the main tank (with water conditioner, and the other newt still in there who seems to be doing great). Big newt is still in the hospital tank, and has been going in the water more. But, yesterday he was sitting on the rock thing I have in there and there seemed to be spit or something beside him. He's been keeping his mouth sort of open and it looks a little fuzzy or something. These are similar symptoms to what the other newt had a month or so ago, although he seemed to have a bubble in his mouth (he made a full recovery without any sort of medication).
Attached Thumbnails
FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT-img_2046.jpg   FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT-img_2049.jpg   FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT-img_2050.jpg  

Old 29th March 2016   #26 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That appears to be "mouth rot". You may find this thread helpful - HELP...newt with mouth rot ! - but the newt should be seen by a vet in order to get the diagnostics performed that will in turn get the right medication to treat the infection, as well as see to wound treatment if there is a necrotic component involved.

In the meantime, get the newt in the fridge as the cooler temps may help to inhibit the growth of the pathogen but should not affect the newt's immune function.

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
Old 29th March 2016   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:

How exactly should I put him in the fridge? In what, for how long, etc.? Also, is mouth rot something that will only be cured with medication?

Old 29th March 2016   #28 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

If you have a larger plastic container with a tight fitting lid, I would use that. Put about 2 inches of water in the container but also provide some sort of haul out so the newt can decide where it wants to be (since it has been spending more time in the water. Alternatively, you could use a smaller plastic container with a tight fitting lid and use moist paper towels as the substrate - be sure to offer a hiding place of some kind with whichever set up you go with).

Refrigeration is not a cure, rather it is nursing care to be used until you can get the newt seen by a vet and obtain a diagnosis and meds to treat the infection. I am skeptical that the condition can be treated successfully without profession medical treatment.

HJ

Old 31st March 2016   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:

His mouth looks completely fine now. I'm not sure what to do at this point, because I haven't found anyone in the area who has experience with FBN. I took my other one to an amphibian vet who really just drew conclusions, he didn't know much about them and it wasn't very helpful. If I were to refrigerate him, how long do I leave him in there?

Old 31st March 2016   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:

Within the past couple minutes (since my last post) he went into the water and I got a picture of the "air bubbles" which only seem to be in places that were dry. Then, it looked like he was gagging or throwing up and some sort of white fuzzy thing is now hanging out of his mouth. I'm going to try to find someone who has experience with them in the area, although I don't know how much luck I'll have.
Attached Thumbnails
FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT-img_3261.jpg   FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT-img_3262.jpg  

Old 31st March 2016   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: CatSpit has given good advice and informationCatSpit has given good advice and information

Here are some herp vet listings for the US, hope you can find one in your area.

Herp Veterinarians

CatSpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you! The vet I went to is on the list, so I guess I'll call the other places and see if they have specific experience with these little guys. Should I refrigerate him in the mean time? If so, does he stay in there all day, or just for an hour or so?

Old 2nd April 2016   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:
Question Re: FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT

Ok so I'm pretty sure he either has a fungal infection or mouth rot. The only vet within 6 hours of me is closed until Monday morning, so what can I do until then? How long should I put him in the refrigerator for? And is there anything else I can do for him?

Old 2nd April 2016   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:
Exclamation Re: FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT

What about a salt bath?

Old 2nd April 2016   #35 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

There is quite a lot of information here Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1
Refrigeration is usually to slow down the metabolism. There is also information on salt baths.
It might be worth waiting until some of the more experienced members suggest whether salt baths or refrigeration will help until a vet is available. I don't have any experience with FBN, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, just point you in the direction of the articles.

I hope that your little one is ok. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

Old 2nd April 2016   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks! I've looked at that page before and that's where I got the refrigeration and salt bath ideas from, but it doesn't give any specific information on how to do it. I'm also pretty inexperienced with FBN (these are my first ones and I'm realizing how difficult they are to take care of) so i'm not sure where to go from here without the exacts.

Old 2nd April 2016   #37 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

This is from an axolotls site Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Salt bath information
"Holtfreter's solution in higher than normal concentrations is also effective against Columnaris, as is the use of a salt bath. Place the animal in a salt bath for about 10 minutes once or twice a day. A salt bath is prepared using 2-3 teaspoons of salt (table salt, cooking salt, or iodized salt, but not "low" or "low-sodium" salt) per litre/two pints. Don't leave the Axolotl in the salt bath for more than 15 minutes each time, because the salt will start to damage the Axolotl's skin and particularly its gills. "

Check with one of the more experienced members, but you can put your newt in a container on damp tissue (air holes in lid) and put him in the fridge. Make sure it's not below 5C as that's too cold. You should be fine to leave him there until you can contact the vet on Monday.

As I say, please double check this information with a more experienced person, preferable someone with specific FBN experience.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 2nd April 2016   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:

Currently preparing his bath! He does not look amused

Old 2nd April 2016   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:

He does not appear to be enjoying his bath. It doesn't hurt them at all does it? I used about 2 tsp of aquarium salt per one liter of dechlorinated water.

Old 2nd April 2016   #40 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I don't think it hurts as such, but it could probably be a bit irritating because it's a salt solution and not what he's used to. Don't leave him in too long and make sure he goes back into clean, dechlorinated water.

Tags
air bubbles, bloat, firebelly newt, please help, sick newt, urgent

LinkBack