The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Refrigeration and Salt Bath for possible fungal infection??

This is a discussion on Refrigeration and Salt Bath for possible fungal infection?? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi everyone. I think my newt may have a fungal infection (I have another post titled FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles? ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: natuhlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Refrigeration and Salt Bath for possible fungal infection??

Hi everyone. I think my newt may have a fungal infection (I have another post titled FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles? Which I have decided is definitely not bloat) and I'm trying to get him a veterinary appointment, but everyone is closed until Monday morning. Until then, does anyone know what I can do for him? I've heard refrigeration but how long do I leave him in there? Also, what about salt baths? I read those can help with fungal infections...how exactly would I do that? Thanks in advance.

natuhlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Refrigeration and Salt Bath for possible fungal infection??

I've posted a link to some information on your other thread.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks! I've looked at that page before and that's where I got the refrigeration and salt bath ideas from, but it doesn't give any specific information on how to do it. I'm also pretty inexperienced with FBN (these are my first ones and I'm realizing how difficult they are to take care of) so i'm not sure where to go from here without the exacts.

(I posted this on both threads for anyone else who may look at this )

Old 2nd April 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

I have posted more information on the other thread, but it would be great if someone more experienced, or with specific FBN experience could check the information and offer advice.
Cheers.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: CatSpit has given good advice and informationCatSpit has given good advice and information

This is a tutorial on salt baths and fridging. I have not done either of these things so I am no expert, but in searching the forums I found that the tutorial has been used with newts (the salt bath part, I am not sure about fridging).

Salt bath Picture Tutorial

Hope this helps and that someone can provide information about fridging a newt. I am glad you are taking your newt to the vet next week as it is really important that it receives proper medical treatment.

CatSpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Do salt baths get rid of the fungal infection, or just help stop it from spreading?

Old 2nd April 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

PS Thanks for posting that tutorial! Very helpful. I'm assuming it's the same for newts?

Old 2nd April 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: CatSpit has given good advice and informationCatSpit has given good advice and information

Salt baths are helpful with fungus, but in your case you need to consult a vet as it needs to be determined if the cause is bacterial or fungal.

Old 2nd April 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Do they do that through a swab type test?

Old 7th April 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Exclamation Re: Refrigeration and Salt Bath for possible fungal infection??

I still haven't been able to get him into the vet (I have an appointment for Friday and am trying to get him in tomorrow) but I talked to the vet earlier (actually he left me a voicemail) suggesting that I bring his temperature up to the 70s and that I do it gradually so as not to stress him out. Any ideas on how to do that?

Old 7th April 2016   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Do not raise the temperature as this will stress the newt as well as support the growth of infectious pathogens. Most vets are very inexperienced in regards to proper caudate care and while you need a vet to determine what type of infection is affecting your newt and to get the proper prescription to treat that infection, do not take his advice in this regards. Seriously, raising the temperature could very likely kill your newt.

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: cjbart1009 is an unknown quantity at this point

My fire belly newt has a small wound on his belly. My room stays at a constant 68 Fahrenheit and I just change the water everyday. It seems like it's healing on it's own. I do use RO/DI water tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjbart1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbart1009 View Post
My fire belly newt has a small wound on his belly. My room stays at a constant 68 Fahrenheit and I just change the water everyday. It seems like it's healing on it's own. I do use RO/DI water tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, wounds can be quite serious for newts - I am glad to hear that it seems to be healing on its own, but definitely keep an eye on it. I had a newt with an open wound a while ago, this is the link as I was given good information on treating it from the start. It did not respond to my treatments and I had to have a herp vet look at the newt and prescribe treatment which worked very quickly.

Newt wound

Tags
fire belly newt, fungal infection, refrigeration, salt baths, sick newt

LinkBack