The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Juvie not eating

This is a discussion on Tiger Juvie not eating within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So, I got my first tiger salamander two weeks ago, and he moved to land the same day I got ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jotarocult is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Tiger Juvie not eating

So, I got my first tiger salamander two weeks ago, and he moved to land the same day I got him. I figured, "oh, he's finally good to go." I didn't attempt to feed him too often during the week, but I was starting to get worried because he wouldn't budge when I tried to feed. He would turn his head away, and sometimes he would walk over the food! And now, at two weeks, I'm very worried. I've tried earthworms, dried crickets and wax worms, I think he's afraid of me, too, or stressed, or something. I'm aware that they go off food for a bit when morphing, but is it really two weeks long? I don't want him to starve! If anyone has advice I would like to know what I should do. Thanks!

jotarocult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Juvie not eating

Could you add some photo's of his home..and some of him too please.
Do you leave food in with him so he can go back to it?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Tiger Juvie not eating-20160324_060314.jpg

Tiger Juvie not eating-20160329_181114.jpg

(ignore the stuffed bear)

Old 6th April 2016   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

What type of substrate are you using? The substrate should be a soil type material that allows the salamander to burrow and that has a neutral pH (so avoid sphagnum peat moss). I like to use a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and organic potting soil, about 4-6 inches deep to allow the animal to dig down and participate in natural behaviors like burrowing.

The tiger salamander would also benefit from a low light, low key sort of environment if its not wanting to eat yet. Keeping it cool (65F or under) is necessary, too. Not only are cool temperatures needed for good caudate health, but lower temperatures also slow down the metabolism so they burn through calories more slowly (important if an animal is not taking calories in).

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well, that picture where he's on the forest moss is when I was switching him to his new tank, which is the image of his enclosure. He's on coco fiber and he's in the stuff all day. It's when I try to feed him that he refuses.

Tags
ambystoma, food, juvenile, tiger salamander

LinkBack