The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?

This is a discussion on Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; A few weeks ago I came across an interesting little creature at the pet store who was submerged under water, ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By anonymoose
  • 1 Post By anonymoose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: anonymoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?

A few weeks ago I came across an interesting little creature at the pet store who was submerged under water, but still had feet. Completely amazed by this, I felt the need to purchase one of my own. The pet store, of course, had no information about the little guy present, and they were housing him with fish, in GRAVEL. After seeing this, I figured that he was going to permanently be an aquatic animal so there was no stopping my purchase.

Before I introduced him to an aquarium, I obviously did a lot of research on the care of this thing that I just bought. At first I was under the impression that I was buying an Axolotl. To make this story short, I was just poking around to see if anyone could positively identify my salamander. I think it's an Eastern Tiger Salamander, but I am unsure because his adult color doesn't seem to be in all the way. I've included a few pictures of him throughout his time with me. (I need to stop referring to it as he, considering it isn't sexed yet! Oops.)

First attachment: at the pet store.
Second attachment: few weeks after being home
Third attachment: almost finished with metamorphosis

This my first post, please be easy on me! Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?-20160329_231759-1.jpg   Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?-20160420_162624.jpg   Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?-20160508_150257.jpg  

anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?

It is a tiger salamander, but finding out weather or not they're one of the many sub-species of tiger salamanders is difficult. You most likely have a Barred tiger salamander larva, as they are the most common ones to be offered for sale in pet-stores. Here's a few care-sheets: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Old 12th May 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Wow, the difference between the first and second pictures is amazing. You were obviously feeding him well when you got him home.
The metamorphosis progress is fascinating. One of the other keepers on this site has a salamander called Jabba and posted almost daily updates on progress and I couldn't believe how quickly it happened.
I keep axolotls rather than salamanders, but I love looking at other peoples posts and seeing how the different types of newts and salamanders progress.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: anonymoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna001 View Post
Wow, the difference between the first and second pictures is amazing. You were obviously feeding him well when you got him home.
The metamorphosis progress is fascinating. One of the other keepers on this site has a salamander called Jabba and posted almost daily updates on progress and I couldn't believe how quickly it happened.
I keep axolotls rather than salamanders, but I love looking at other peoples posts and seeing how the different types of newts and salamanders progress.

I have a lot of pictures that I've gathered over the past two months since I got him lol. It's a completely remarkable experience being able to watch their whole body change. Metamorphosis was completed within literally a week!
I've also got a pair of Axolotl babies. :)

anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Please post some pictures of your axolotls too.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambystoma tigrinum, identification, salamander, tiger salamander

LinkBack