The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

E. cirrigera in distress?

This is a discussion on E. cirrigera in distress? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; My two lined salamander larvae recently got his water cleaned. I put some new plants in his little space to ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 2 Post By LydiaL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LydiaL is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy E. cirrigera in distress?

My two lined salamander larvae recently got his water cleaned. I put some new plants in his little space to spice things up. Just some plantains which he has had before. I rinsed them etc. His new water was dechlorinated a few hours ago. When I put my little guy in his tank, he liked it and was taking in his new arrangement. A few minutes later he couldn't sit still. He would swim a few inches and have to swim to the top of the water like he was taking a gulp of air or something. Then he would sit on the plants so he was closer to the surface, then rapidly swim to another spot, come up for air etc. He was doing this like every thirty seconds. So, after a few minutes, I put him in a tank where I have my daphnia being raised, because I knew the water would be fine there. He was still swimming around a lot and coming up to the surface. Even after about five minutes.

Is he distressed? Is he excited for his new tank or something or is it the water quality? I don't have a water testing kit I just assumed everything would be fine. I even tasted some of his water and it seemed okay to me. It tasted a little weird I guess, kinda left a film (well not really a film... maybe I would describe it like old water that has been sitting out for a few days) Help my little guy!

LydiaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: E. cirrigera in distress?

In desperate measures I took each of the plants out and tasted them to see what the problem may be. According to my tongue, on of the plants tasted very weird and left a film over my tongue. Darn you plant.

I will see how he does now.

Now, I will taste test all of my plants before putting them in with my little guy.

Oh my.

Old 20th May 2016   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Did you leave some of the cycled water in the tank for it? Sounds like it may be stressed because of water quality. Here's an article to help you out: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling And also, worth pointing out that licking something you placed with an animal is an easy way to get you or your animals sick as well. Take care and be safe!

Old 21st May 2016   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Oh, also almost forgot the care-sheet for this species!: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Eurycea - Two-lined and Junaluska

Old 22nd May 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Xavier, he's doing fine now, I think the plants weren't the issue, I think he was just stressed about his new environment. Not that you care, but I noticed my little guy begs for food now. Exciting (and about licking the plants, it wasn't more of a lick but like touching my tongue to them and wondering if something is wrong with me LOL)

Old 23rd May 2016   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Yup, sounds like he/she is doing good now, typically this species will beg for food when healthy, so sounds like you're doing good

Tags
cirrigera, distress, two lined, water quality

LinkBack