The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Overseas trade

This is a discussion on Overseas trade within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; What is the best way,2 send juveniles across??some trips take 10 days,how 2 pack them,& should u use oxygenpills??...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Joep has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Overseas trade

What is the best way,2 send juveniles across??some trips take 10 days,how 2 pack them,& should u use oxygenpills??

Joep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Overseas trade

You probably know that this isn't legal in The Netherlands. The receiver of the package can get into problems as well. Futhermore, it's a long journey and you don't know where the package gets possitioned and what the temperatures and oxygen levels will be. I can only recommend to send eggs overseas. You position some wet paper towel inside of a DVD-case, in which you can put the eggs. Put the case a bubble mailer. Sending them in water always results in faillure.

In case you're going to send live animals anyway I would suggest to put them in a sturdy plastic container with some air holes in it. Fill it with wet paper towel. Make sure the container is not too big, because they don't need extra space to get tossed around in. Wrap the container in paper. I wouldn't recommend sending animals aquatic, except when it comes to axolotls and such. I've seen them being send in plastic bags in plastic containers. I don't know anymore details though. Still I wouldn't recommend sending live animals to the US, but since I can't control other people I give this info for the sake of the animals.

When it comes to the other way around (when animals are being send to you) the risk of being "caught" is realistic. I know several cases myself, including one of my mates. It costed him a descent amount of money.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack