The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Stunted growth due to captivity?

This is a discussion on Stunted growth due to captivity? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello, I've been using the pond water method and I am aware that spotted salamanders lay their eggs around the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bellabelloo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FluffyHerper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stunted growth due to captivity?

Hello, I've been using the pond water method and I am aware that spotted salamanders lay their eggs around the same time. But I hatched salamander eggs about a month ago and the salamanders have barely grown. They have front legs and are starting to sprout back legs. I never thought that there would be anything wrong with them... till today. I was out collecting pond water and with a net, scooping up the extra daphnia swimming around and a caught a salamander larvae that could swallow my babies whole. Am I doing something wrong? Does captive keeping normally stunt growth? If I am doing something wrong would it be; a habitat not big enough, not enough food (they go through food in less than a day and the daphnia population always goes down at this time of year due to the excess larval pond life), or something else?
Thanks!
Gigi.

Old 20th June 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Stunted growth due to captivity?

I found that Spotted salamanders grow very slowly to start with. Once they move off from Daphnia onto small chopped worm, they will pick up a little more. Make sure the water is clean , as in no ammonia etc and the food is plentiful at all times and all should be good.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, growth, newb, pond, salamanders, spotted, stunted

LinkBack