The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Salamander infection treatments

This is a discussion on Tiger Salamander infection treatments within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello, Found my 8 year old Salamander with an infected mass in front of his hind leg. This happened in ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By jewett
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 2 Post By jewett
  • 2 Post By Nikamamas518
  • 1 Post By MarieKarma1311

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nikamamas518 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger Salamander infection treatments

Hello,
Found my 8 year old Salamander with an infected mass in front of his hind leg. This happened in just 2 weeks, he was fine before he burrowed to hibernate. Dug him up yesterday to check on him and found this mass growing from his side. Substrate was just replaced a month ago. Feeding was normal. Not sure how this happened but need help with safe treatment options. Mostly antibiotics and ways to get him nutrients since he refuses to eat. Please help?
Attached Thumbnails
Tiger Salamander infection treatments-resized_20161114_120853.jpg  

Nikamamas518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Tiger Salamander infection treatments

That wound looks far more involved than what should be treated at home. I strongly recommend you find a vet who is willing to treat a salamander. In the meantime, keep the salamander on moist paper towels in a plastic box and change the paper towels out daily to help keep things clean (use aged water to moisten the towels), and keep the animal cool to again slow down infection as well as it's metabolism since it's not eating. It appears to have a good weight right now so I would not be overly concerned about it not eating - it can go potentially weeks without eating with no real negative repercussions.

After the vet visit I would completely change out the substrate as something in there must have caused such a severe injury (it does not appear to be a mass/ growth to me). Perhaps a stick or stone is hidden in there. I use a mix of coco fiber and organic potting soil for my salamander's substrate and have to sift through the organic potting soil before using it because often sticks and the like are mixed in.

Best of luck!

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I agree with everything that Jewett has said, find a vet, and make sure that everything it is living in right now is perfect. Also, this may just be me, but it doesn't look like a mass, it looks more like a cut, and unfertilized eggs are coming out of the wound, so I think it may have cut itself and now has a major injury on its side. There's nothing that you can do if this is true though, only a vet would be able to sew it shut, if by some chance I am right. I'll let some more knowledgeable members look at the injury and see what it is though

Old 17th November 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank u so much for your response we have cleaned it up and but him in a clean environment. The nearest amphibian vet is 3 hours away but we will probably end up taking him. Just wanted to see what others thought. We had him in coconut fiber husk and have used it for 8 years but it does look like he got cut. Thanks again

Old 17th November 2016   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Best of luck and keep us posted!

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

This is what it looks like now we have managed to clean it up quite a bit and are planning a visit to the exotic animal hospital in Phoenix we will post more when we know. Thanks again for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Tiger Salamander infection treatments-20161117_231143.jpg  

Old 18th November 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MarieKarma1311 has shown reliable knowledgeMarieKarma1311 has shown reliable knowledge

The infected area looks much better now that its been cleaned up. I hope all goes well at the vet and that your tiger salamander gets better. good luck!

MarieKarma1311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salamander, sick, treatment

LinkBack