The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Sal refusing to feed

This is a discussion on Tiger Sal refusing to feed within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have an adult tiger salamander that I picked up at a local fish and reptile store. They don't generally ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RainCrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RainCrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger Sal refusing to feed

I have an adult tiger salamander that I picked up at a local fish and reptile store. They don't generally carry any amphibians any more after the interstate ban, but this guy was brought in by a kid going off to college.
It's apparently about a year old, morphed sometime last summer they told me, but for having been morphed about 6 months he looks pretty small and has refused every worm I've given over the last week.
I've tried night crawlers and blood worms, even some really strong smelling newt pellets, but he won't even try to bite at stuff, he doesn't seem to have any prey drive at all.

Any suggestions for enticing foods? Temp change to encourage eating maybe? He's in a quarantine tub with damp paper towel bedding, hides and a water dish right now, temps hovering in the low 60's down to 58 at night.

RainCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Sal refusing to feed

Offer lots of live food, such as size appropriate earthworm, woodlice etc...and then leave alone for maybe a week...and then repeat. Juvenile tigers are sometimes quite shy with eating, but left alone will eventually become happier interacting with us

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abystoma tigrinum, feeding problem, tiger salamander

LinkBack