The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best conditions for raising spotted salamander eggs?

This is a discussion on Best conditions for raising spotted salamander eggs? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I recently acquired two masses of spotted salamander eggs that were salvaged before a nearby vernal pool was destroyed. The ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sneersh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best conditions for raising spotted salamander eggs?

I recently acquired two masses of spotted salamander eggs that were salvaged before a nearby vernal pool was destroyed. The eggs are currently outside sitting in a plastic tub in about 5 gallons of water. I was wondering what the best temperature is for raising them. The current water temperature is about 60 degrees during the day and as low as 40 at night. Is this too much fluctuation? If I were to bring them inside, the water temperature would be consistently in the low 70s, but I'm worried about fungal growth. Also, how deep should the water be, and how long will they take to hatch at these temperatures? If you have any other tips I'd be grateful.

Sneersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Best conditions for raising spotted salamander eggs?

I keep mine in an unheated shed, by the window. The temperatures are roughly the same . at them moment. I have mine in a tub with a depth of maybe 4'' water. This has free floating pond plants and snails, I also like to have a few beech or oak leaves in as they can help prevent fungus. The water came from the adult's water section and I added pond water, this is because it should hold some micro food for when they hatch. I find development very slow and you'll find they hatch over a long period of time. Bringing them into a warmer room will speed development. When the larvae hatch you will need a good supply of micro food. I like to use micro worm, very small daphnia and at a push freshly hatched brine shrimp.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs, salamander, spotted

LinkBack