The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Can't get my pregnant california newt to eat

This is a discussion on Can't get my pregnant california newt to eat within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello, I recently got 2 California Newt's and they are having a hard time adapting to their new environment. I ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: richardss09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Can't get my pregnant california newt to eat

Hello,

I recently got 2 California Newt's and they are having a hard time adapting to their new environment. I did not know that one was pregnant before getting her, and she has been laying eggs. I have not been able to get her to eat, and I know that laying eggs is energetically expensive and I have tried everything; and I am worried about her well being. The other one I have, now not entirely sure on the sex, since I thought they were both boys... he has been eating here and there and I am not too worried about him as much.

Is it normal for her to not be eating during this time? Should I be more persistent on feeding her the food myself or just give it some more time?

I have never had amphibians before, and I am really excited but just want to make sure everything is okay.

richardss09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Can't get my pregnant california newt to eat

Hi, welcome to the site. :)

Sometimes, egg laying females aren't always interested in food, but normally will be hungry in between. I would just ensure their tank is as close to ideal as possible and the water quality is perfect to help them adjust and try to tempt her with chopped nightcrawler or live blackworms.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Taricha torosa

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: richardss09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response!

I am going to go back to the pet-store tomorrow to see if I can mix up their food choice and hopefully get her to eat, the tank is stocked with meal worms for now but I take them out after about 24 hours if neither of them are interested

richardss09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Mealworms are a very poor choice for newts. They are very hard for them to digest and virtually worthless nutritionally. I would either dig for some, or go to a bait store/Walmart and get someCanadian nightcrawlers, they can be left in overnight and removed in the morning if not eaten without fouling the water too much.
If the newts came from the a pet store they will be wild caught and very stressed, you need to offer the most tempting things you can to help them recover and adapt to captivity.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california newt, eating, pregnancy

LinkBack