The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Injured & Sick Ambystoma maculatum

This is a discussion on Injured & Sick Ambystoma maculatum within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi, I have a spotted salamander. I got him about a month ago, and he is extremely injured. He has ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bellabelloo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolotl27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Injured & Sick Ambystoma maculatum

Hi,

I have a spotted salamander. I got him about a month ago, and he is extremely injured. He has a broken jaw in 4 places (three on top and one on bottom), exposed bone over all the jaw, and throws up the food I give him. We have no idea how he broke his jaw, and although we thought he may have broken it in transit, we didn't see any evidence of this. Currently, he is eating Fluker's Repta Boost, but again, he can't keep it down. He also gets a supplement of calcium (a little extra for bone regrowth). However, he has not improved in the last week and a half, and he also hasn't regenerated any bone or skin of any kind, and in addition, he is bleeding again. He also mysteriously severed a toe on a back foot, this is also bleeding. Any information helps.

I was also wondering how he got these injuries. His tank, as far as I know, is salamander-proof.

Thanks,
Carly

axolotl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Injured & Sick Ambystoma maculatum

This animal needs veterinary care with such serious injuries.

It is possible that the cause of the missing toe is due to some infection, but this really does need to be checked .

Please do keep us posted on how it goes.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Does anybody have any suggestions for good vets in the Denver area? Herp vets will treat a salamander, right?

Old 25th May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

We scheduled our salamander an appointment at a local exotic pet veterinarian. He turned out to have a cancer-like infection, and euthanasia was the only option. Thank you, Julia, for your advice. I don't believe we will be getting another spotted salamander. After hours of force-feeding Hugo paste, I don't think I would be able to handle another one.

Thanks,
Carly

Old 25th May 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Please don't let this experience put you off.
I keep A.maculatum and they are beautiful animals, however I rarely see them :) Breeding season, while they are aquatic is really the only time.
How about you consider something a little more visual, like Ambystom tigrinum ?
If you do decide to try again, do give all the housing a really good clean.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, injury, regurgitation, salalmander

LinkBack