The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Injured newt larvae?

This is a discussion on Injured newt larvae? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have three newt larvae that I got a few weeks ago with only half developed front legs. Two of ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SalamanderQueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Injured newt larvae?

I have three newt larvae that I got a few weeks ago with only half developed front legs. Two of the three grew back legs, while the third is in the process. Recently, though, I noticed one couldn't swim or move well and looked really small (the one without back legs). I looked at it closer and saw that at some point its tail had been bitten clean off and was now starting to grow back. I could tell because its back leg stubs were at the end of its body (which looked really short because of not having a tail). I also noticed one of its front legs was very strangely bent and not being used. Is it broken, or is it deformed? Its still eating but it is bad at moving and staying on the bottom of the water. I was thinking I would wait until it has back legs and a tail (so it can get around other ways) and if the front leg is still messed up I would cut it off and hope it grows back normally. Is this the best thing to do? I also really don't want to cull it since it doesn't seem like its in a lot of pain and I only have three. It is healing, but it's still concerning to see it unable to move well.

SalamanderQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cherry blossom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Injured newt larvae?

The decision is yours, but if you do decide to cut it then it is very important to make sure that you use clean tools and keep him in a especailly clean environment while it heals.

cherry blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injury, newt larvae

LinkBack