The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Home for Salamander

This is a discussion on New Home for Salamander within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So happy my Salamander decided to live on land!!! I have just moved him into his large box. (Tote with ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By LisaRotcorp
  • 1 Post By joemomma1016
  • 1 Post By LisaRotcorp
  • 2 Post By LisaRotcorp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LisaRotcorp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Home for Salamander

So happy my Salamander decided to live on land!!! I have just moved him into his large box. (Tote with a locking lid, with air holes ) As I imagined he would do, he ran around it like mad for about 20 seconds then dove under the log and is hiding. All the material in this box (aside from the water dish) came from the very woods I found this little guy in, moss, a couple sticks and stones, and the log was even right next to the pond I found him in. I hope he likes it, I have kept it misted to keep it damp, I let the water sit out to dechlorinate before I mist with it. There are also several worms in there of various sizes, and I have plenty more on hand if he ever comes out and decides he wants to visit. I've never had a salamander or any other critter like this before. Any suggestions?
Since he is hiding in his new home, I put pictures of him in his old home....crib? lol
Attached Thumbnails
New Home for Salamander-salhome2.jpg   New Home for Salamander-saloldhome.jpg   New Home for Salamander-saloldhome2.jpg  

LisaRotcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: joemomma1016 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: New Home for Salamander

Did you find this guy in Michigan? He looks like a hybrid of some sort. But I would use a dechlorinator in the water just to be sure and they're fairly cheap at pet stores. I'd also recommend some kind of dirt and coco fiber fix for the salamander to dig in since it looks like a "mole" salamander. Just means they're the type that like to dig in a few inches of substrate. Congrats tho!

joemomma1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Indeed. The moss has about 4 inches of dirt in it, He has tunneled his way into it for sure. I rarely ever see him anymore haha. He is always dug down into the dirt, every now n then he comes out to fiddle around then back down he goes.

Old 7th September 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Still very much alive and doing well. He(she?) eats like a horse (a worm loving horse) and has a slug as his best friend. I'm going to cut a fresh piece of moss for winter, and have a mini worm farm going as a food supply, may also purchase a few wax worms and crickets for variety's sake.
Attached Thumbnails
New Home for Salamander-salgrown1.jpg   New Home for Salamander-salgrown2.jpg  

Old 9th September 2017   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Make sure you don't put in more crickets than he will eat. If he doesn't eat them, they will bite his soft skin and kill him. Speaking from experience. I never use crickets anymore.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack