The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Tiger Salamander question

This is a discussion on New Tiger Salamander question within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello all. My son received a water dog that just finished its morph into a Tiger Salamander. I have tried ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BBCULLEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Tiger Salamander question

Hello all. My son received a water dog that just finished its morph into a Tiger Salamander. I have tried to read as much as I can and have been looking through old posts for information. Spud (not sure if Spud is a girl or a boy) is now in a 10 gallon aquarium with Eco earth substrate, a nice hiding place and I do have a water dish in there for him in case he gets too warm. We live in Hawaii and it's fairly humid here, most days it's been about 90 degrees. He seems to love tunneling through the Eco earth and is eating fine.

My question is, I keep reading that earthworms/night crawlers are the best things to feed him. I have searched all pet stores, bait shops and farm stores here on the island and have not been able to acquire any worms for him. Our yard is treated with chemicals (the landlord does this, not us) and so I can't just go out and dig up worms for him either. So far he's been eating frozen blood worms and gut loaded live crickets. What can I do to make sure he's getting the best nutrition possible, I know variety is probably key also. I'd be fine with buying worms online to give him, however I don't know where to start. Also because I live in Hawaii, we have restrictions on shipping certain things here, so I'm not sure if that's even allowed.
Thank you for any help :)

Edited to add a photo of Spud the day we got him and then a photo of him today.
Attached Thumbnails
New Tiger Salamander question-image.jpeg   New Tiger Salamander question-image.jpg  

Last edited by BBCULLEN; 1 Week Ago at 22:18. Reason: Added photos
BBCULLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has shown reliable knowledgeMethos5K has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: New Tiger Salamander question

You are correct about importation restrictions; worms from outside Hawaii cannot be shipped into the state. That's a $25000 fine! hawaiirainbowworms.com sells locally produced compost worms and they ship within the islands.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos5K View Post
You are correct about importation restrictions; worms from outside Hawaii cannot be shipped into the state. That's a $25000 fine! hawaiirainbowworms.com sells locally produced compost worms and they ship within the islands.
Thank you for replying :) I looked at the hawaiirainbowworms website and it looks like she doesn't have any for sale at this time. I did find one more place locally that might be able to help. They specialize in composting worms. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

There's nothing wrong with giving him a cricket based diet if they're the easiest thing to get. You're already gut loading them which is good, but to make sure they'e nutritious enough as a staple you can dust them with a good calcium/multivitamin powder. Earthworms are always recommended because they`can be fed day in day out to amphibians without any supplements, but properly prepared crickets should be more than adequate.

REPCAL REP-CAL ULTRAFINE 3.3 OZ POWDER CALCIUM WITH VITAMIN D3 FREE SHIP USA | eBay

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
There's nothing wrong with giving him a cricket based diet if they're the easiest thing to get. You're already gut loading them which is good, but to make sure they'e nutritious enough as a staple you can dust them with a good calcium/multivitamin powder. Earthworms are always recommended because they`can be fed day in day out to amphibians without any supplements, but properly prepared crickets should be more than adequate.

REPCAL REP-CAL ULTRAFINE 3.3 OZ POWDER CALCIUM WITH VITAMIN D3 FREE SHIP USA | eBay
This makes me feel so much better! I have been stressing out about finding him worms. I haven't been able to get any and it's not looking very promising. I will make sure to dust the crickets with the powder as well. I'm wondering, how many crickets a day is sufficient for this little guy? He had four today. I appreciate your reply!

Old 1 Week Ago   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: joemomma1016 has shown reliable knowledge

Also a lot of folks like to mix eco earth with regular topsoil with no additives or fertilizers. The dirt just helps break down waste that coconut fiber doesn't.

joemomma1016 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack