The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Two-toed Amphiuma tank mates and medicinals

This is a discussion on Two-toed Amphiuma tank mates and medicinals within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So I have a friend who has a two-toed amphiuma In his yard after the floods here in Texas. It's ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Shenanigaens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two-toed Amphiuma tank mates and medicinals

So I have a friend who has a two-toed amphiuma In his yard after the floods here in Texas. It's about two feet and a mile from the nearest creek. The water is still too fast/dirty/contaminated to comfortably put it back, and I want to keep it.

I maintain two giant bass tanks (700g and 800g) in two different locations for a small, but growing, tackle chain out here. I'm working on turning them into native display tanks with information on local species and invasives. This guy would make an amazing addition, there's plenty of room, and he would be a neat draw for the store.

I've read and researched into care, but I have some serious questions I can't find adequate answers for, and can't think of a better place to ask around...

The tanks are primarily largemouth display and the one he's going to has a 10lb bass, who has show aggression to the other two (6lb and 8lb). With hiding places, could they be tank mates? What about perch (Texas cichlids), crappie, plecos?

I'm pretty OCD about these tanks, so water quality isn't much of an issue, worst ammonia gets is .25, if that, after two weeks (I clean twice a month). But what about chemical susceptibility to medicines and such? There's been occasions of lice and anchor worms I've had to clout and I know amphibians tend to be pretty sensitive.

All in all I only intend to keep it if I feel I can safely and confidently care for it, otherwise we'll keep the puddle it's living in full until we can release it. So if anyone has any experience with these guys or knows of any resources I can peruse, I would be supremely grateful.

Cheers!!

Shenanigaens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Two-toed Amphiuma tank mates and medicinals

I woudn't put him in with a fish that I already know is aggressive. You're asking for trouble.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack