The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best species for this tank setup?

This is a discussion on Best species for this tank setup? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello, I am a newbie, I've never kept salamanders or newts, but one of my kids wanted fish and the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AKValkyrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best species for this tank setup?

Hello,

I am a newbie, I've never kept salamanders or newts, but one of my kids wanted fish and the other wanted a lizard, and I didn't want to mess with two tanks. After some research it sounded like I could make both happy with one tank with mountain minnows and a newt. Being a plant lover as well I fell in love with the idea of a vivarium and may have got a little carried away with one of those DIY 3D foam backgrounds. Now I'm just waiting on some filter components to arrive to finish my tank (no, the under gravel in my pic isn't staying, I'm setting up a canister with spray bar pointed at the wall to avoid a strong currant) so I was trying to figure out which species of newt to buy.

My tank setup has a lot of climbing area as far as ledges and such, but that bottom portion I intend to fill with water, the skull is also going to be a low-flow water fall and I intend to do lots of plants/moss/etc. I wasn't aware different newt species preferred different habitats as far as aquatic, semi-aquatic, terrestrial and I can't even seem to find a list anywhere of which are which.

So as opposed to a lot of reading and a guess, I thought I'd ask here. What species would be happiest and make the most of a tank like this? Thanks in advance :)

Click the image to open in full size.

AKValkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Best species for this tank setup?

HOw many gallons is it? I think most newt species would be OK with that set up.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AKValkyrie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good sized tank, 40 gallon long (48" x 12" x 16")

AKValkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

That's a great size! I think your options are limited only by what you can find.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack