The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sexing Chinese fire belly newts

This is a discussion on Sexing Chinese fire belly newts within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; As mentioned in the title, I found it is very difficult to determine the sex of the newts, especially in ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: commoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sexing Chinese fire belly newts

As mentioned in the title, I found it is very difficult to determine the sex of the newts, especially in their non-breeding period. By far what i know is that males would have a prominent, larger cloaca, as well as finned blunt tail. Is there other sexing method for firebelly newts? If possible, i would like someone to sex my newts (a side question: In what way can i feed frozen bloodworms in order to minimize the pollution of water?)

Here are some photos of my newts
Attached Thumbnails
Sexing Chinese fire belly newts-20170923_204209.jpg   Sexing Chinese fire belly newts-20170923_201656.jpg   Sexing Chinese fire belly newts-20170923_204156.jpg  

commoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given good advice and informationAuSu has given good advice and information
Default Re: Sexing Chinese fire belly newts

There might be two boys in the pictures on left as their tails look short compared to body length. On the right pic, newt in the left might be girl looking at the tail length. But these are just guesses made by my notifications on my own newts!!! If you have any better pics, I think someone will be able to help you be sure. Are they still quite young? Maybe they could eat a little more or is the photo just making them look like that? If you can find some, earth worms would be the best option for food. I don't know if there is a way to feed bloodworms "clean", I feel they always mess. Some people rinse them to decrease it. But they are quite low in nutritional value so they should be just a nice snack every now and then, not a common meal.

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given good advice and informationAuSu has given good advice and information
Default Re: Sexing Chinese fire belly newts

Talking to myself...it seems the pictures show up in different order in my phone. Now that I'm using computer I'd say at least the newt in third picture is male. Also many of the others look males, but if you have better pictures about tails (length and end shape), that would help! How many are there alltogether? These five or more?

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding bloodworms, fire belly newt, sexing

LinkBack