The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help on found salamander

This is a discussion on Help on found salamander within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello! Yesterday morning upon exiting my apartment (Long Island, NY) this little guy rolled under the door stop. He's no ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Days Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: awfulsweetness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on found salamander

Hello! Yesterday morning upon exiting my apartment (Long Island, NY) this little guy rolled under the door stop. He's no longer than the size of my pinky finger and is missing part of his tail. A friend of mine believes he is a Jefferson blue spot? Is this correct?

I have no knowledge of these animals but have become enamored. Is it better to release him back? I have no idea how he got here, the closest water source is at least a mile away! If it's okay to keep him - what do you recommend for a setup? And what do I feed him and how since he's so tiny?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Help on found salamander-22414310_1880823308602066_603890550_n.jpg  

awfulsweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Help on found salamander

Personally I'd release it somewhere out of harms way, but close to where you found it. Wild caught salamanders are often difficult to acclimate to captivity, especially if you're new to keeping them.
Why not look at keeping a species that's captive bred if you have an interest in them, healthy salamanders that are used to captivity make fascinating, easy to keep pets. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help on found salamander

I agree; releasing him is the best idea. Do it near where he was found. He does not need to be right next to a body of water. Thanks.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack