The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

T. marmoratus too thin? Is this species social?

This is a discussion on T. marmoratus too thin? Is this species social? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have a trio of T. marmoratus. One could be considered a bit of a fatty, another is plump, and ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2017   #1 (permalink)
ely

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default T. marmoratus too thin? Is this species social?

I have a trio of T. marmoratus. One could be considered a bit of a fatty, another is plump, and the last is very slender. I've fed them primarily blackworms, except for one or two days of crickets (but I got paranoid about it, and nixed that). I've seen the first two eating, but not the third. Today, I put the slender one into a critter keeper w/ a damp paper towel and some worms for a few hours, but it didn't eat any of them. It did leave a #2, so I suppose it is eating? Should I keep trying to isolate and feed? They seem to be active and content; they roam and eat regularly.

They spend a lot of time together, in a pile sometimes...Is that normal?

ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: T. marmoratus too thin? Is this species social?

Sometimes I'll put a skinny one in a jar with blackworms for a half hour to get them to eat. Blackworm soup. If you were swimming in a pot of soup, you couldn't help but eat some!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ely View Post
They spend a lot of time together, in a pile sometimes...Is that normal?
This sometimes means that they're slightly too dry- they will clump together to conserve moisture. Probably nothing to worry about, but you might want to consider whether they've got access to hiding places at the moisture level they'd prefer.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #4 (permalink)
ely

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
Sometimes I'll put a skinny one in a jar with blackworms for a half hour to get them to eat. Blackworm soup. If you were swimming in a pot of soup, you couldn't help but eat some!!

Interesting! I would've thought that would be overwhelming, but I think I'll try that. Thank you!

Old 7th November 2017   #5 (permalink)
ely

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb View Post
This sometimes means that they're slightly too dry- they will clump together to conserve moisture. Probably nothing to worry about, but you might want to consider whether they've got access to hiding places at the moisture level they'd prefer.

I mist once in the morning, and the substrate is pretty moist. I was trying not to overdo it since I read that this species can develop skin issues if it is too wet. I'll step it up with the moisture starting now. Thank you for your help!

Tags
marbled newts, marmoratus, not eating, social, triturus

LinkBack