The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Thinking of branching out

This is a discussion on Thinking of branching out within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I've had axolotls for a while now, but I'm really more of a fish person and don't know much about ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bhill368

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: Biev has shown reliable knowledge
Default Thinking of branching out

I've had axolotls for a while now, but I'm really more of a fish person and don't know much about non-aquatic species. I'm starting to think it would be fun to get a pet who spends some time in the water and some time on land. What species would you recommend for a beginner such as myself? I won't run off and buy one immediately, but it would give me some direction to start reading about them. Bonus points if it's something that can live happily on a diet of nightcrawlers, red wigglers and grub pie!

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: bhill368 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of branching out

Tigers are pretty easy to care for. That wouldn't be a bad direction to go for. Though they don't spend much time in the water, it's a nice change of pace for you and are pretty friendly critters! Lots ofnother terrestrial species will be hard to see alot of the time. They love to hide or burrow.

bhill368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #3 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledge

Try some fire-belly newts. Easy to care to care for, good colors, and semi-aquatic.

Old 7th November 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Biev has shown reliable knowledge

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! They both sound really cool. I'm assuming tigers can be kept with axolotls of the same size during the larval stage?

I think I'm leaning more towards the fire-belly newts at this time because I try to avoid buying wild-caught pets in general. Also, knowing me I'll probably want to start breeding them at some point... I don't think I've ever had a pet I haven't tried to breed XD

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack