The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

One of my alpines isnt eating much.

This is a discussion on One of my alpines isnt eating much. within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello I have 2 alpine newts the male has been eating well but the female one eats once in awhile ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy One of my alpines isnt eating much.

Hello I have 2 alpine newts the male has been eating well but the female one eats once in awhile and today i tired to feed her and she ate the earthworm then spit it back up a minute later do you think its because they are red wigglers (they release a smelly substance when i cut them)? She shows intrest in them when i put them in she puts her head on them but most of the time backs off. I tried frozen bloodworms but only the male eats them. She has eaten only 2 times in the past 9 days. I know she isn't constipated because she took a huge poop recently and my tank is bare bottom and has nothing in it she could have ingested. Im very worried any help is appreciated.

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: One of my alpines isnt eating much.

If I were you I would try to find some nightcrawlers or live blackworms, red wrigglers aren't palatable to many species, she's probably spitting them out because of the taste.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I will have to try get some nightcrawlers, I really hate to do this but im gonna have to wait since all the stores in my area are out of them at the moment. How long can a newt last without eating? I think temperature plays a part in this right my tank is kept at 16c. I also cannot find a place that has blackworms here in florida . I could go in my backyard and get some worms but I would rather not, I cannot tell the difference between earthworm species and im not in the mood to give them some wild pathogen..

Old 8th December 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has given consistently good advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently good advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently good advice and information

It's odd that nowhere around you sells blackworms. Are you calling local mom-and-pop tropical fish stores? Big box stores will never sell them; but every LFS in my area does. Otherwise I would agree that minced nightcrawlers are the best bet. Walmart. Sporting goods section. Some of them even carry the baby crawlers.

Old 8th December 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have not asked my mom and pop stores, I just emailed them now. If they do carry them is it easy to start a culture of them? I wouldnt mind setting up like a little 1 gallon to house some

Old 8th December 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has given consistently good advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently good advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently good advice and information

Blackworms reproduce way too slowly for them to culture. Best to keep them in a tupperware container in the fridge and rinse them daily. They can last for weeks if cared for. Better yet, go to https://aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormKeepersM.html and order the blackworm keeper.

I use a feeding dish at the bottom of the tank; and a turkey baster to place the worms in it.

Old 8th December 2017   #7 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If their is a local kilifish keepers club try connecting with them. Killifish keepers use lots of blackworms.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Good news! I was heading out today to go look for some nightcrawlers out of my area and it was feeding time so i was like screw it and tried once more to feed the worms i have and she ate . I'm still going out to get the nightcrawlers just nice to see she has appetite! I also saw something interesting, my male was showing mating behavior at least I think. he was fanning the end of his tail towards the female and i find this odd because they are less then a year old.

Last edited by Aesyir; 8th December 2017 at 20:25.

LinkBack