The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Poop removal

This is a discussion on Poop removal within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I avoid sucking up the newts by holding my hand at the end of the tube. If one gets close ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2003   #41 (permalink)
joeri

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I avoid sucking up the newts by holding my hand at the end of the tube. If one gets close I hold my finger on the end so no water is sucked. Moving a bith with a finger or two usually makes the newts go away. Just stay calm.

And use long tubes so you don't swallow the water ;)

Old 18th November 2003   #42 (permalink)
elisabeth

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jesper, I didn't suck up the newt into my mouth if that's what you're getting at. Click the image to open in full size.

Joeri, I had my hand infront of the opening, but my finger slipped off and up the little guy went. Oh, and the tube was long. The water didn't seem to be moving so I sucked harder, and well, you know the rest.

Old 19th November 2003   #43 (permalink)
samuel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

HI guys!
Joeri that's how i do water changes too. but the suction power is too small for the newt to get sucked in. Beside's very time they see the tube, they scram to hide (guess it's just the nature of orientalis). Nowadays they have a small pump at one end of the tube so using the mouth to provide suction isn't neccessary (that's just darn gross).
Elizabeth, i had a snail that was a poop machine too, i removed it. I prefer using the tube to the jar cuz the former allows me to remove any poop, uneaten food or loose algae.
Jesper, the denitrifying bacteria is a good idea but very hard to utilize. Care to shed some more light on it?

Old 19th November 2003   #44 (permalink)
joel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have a question about water change and nitrates. What is an acceptable level of nitrates for newts? In the fish community the maximum acceptable level for fishes varies between 50ppm - 100ppm across subcommunities although this varies from species to species. I've yet to come across an article about newts tolerance towards nitrates. But I still do water changes when the nitrates are >50ppm.

Old 19th November 2003   #45 (permalink)
elisabeth

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well, Sam, I will admit that the hose I used was kinda big, so the suction power took Howard on a magical, once in a lifetime ride.
And yes, you're right, the sucking method is gross, but it was the only thing I had at the time.
Also, I'm convinced my newts are kinda stupid. No matter what I stick in the tank, they're currious and have to check it out. Even if it meens getting sucked up.

Old 20th November 2003   #46 (permalink)
samuel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Haha, ok... Joel, i'm not sure but perhaps u can ask the pros.

Old 20th November 2003   #47 (permalink)
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sam and Joel:
I have been trying for some time to find info on nitrate levels and newts. Same thing goes for using denitrifying bacteria in freshwater aq.
I really cant see why it shouldnt work with having an anaerobic "place" possibly created by two layers of substrate. However it is essential not to make the layers too deep since one risks to create a totally anaerobic environment which will produce H2S, is a toxic gas. I am still researching, not much time right now though since I am currently doing my masters thesis and having a course in neuropharmacology at the same time *stressed*

Old 20th November 2003   #48 (permalink)
samuel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, prioritise wisely Jesper. Hey, why won't the oxygen in the water diffuse into the water areas within the substrate to create a totally aerobic env?

Tags
poop, removal

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th October 2017, 02:12 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack